My personal journey with depression - recognizing the signs

Depression has been a constant part of my life since I can remember. It was hard to recognize at first, because I was so used to living this way. Over the years, however, I’ve started to notice the subtle changes in my behavior that signal something more serious than a bad day or low mood. Things like lack of motivation, not wanting to see friends or family, and constantly feeling overwhelmed point to depression.

Living with depression is something that takes a daily effort. Sometimes it’s easier said than done, but trying out new methods and practices such as exercise, talking therapy, or mindfulness helps keep me grounded and in check with my emotions. Keeping up with medications prescribed by doctors also gives me an extra support on particularly tough days when I feel especially down.

I’m still learning how to manage my depression on my own terms, and it comes along with its ups and downs. It’s important for me to remember there is no shame in asking for help if I need it- whether this means from friends, family members, or professional care workers. Mental health must always be treated with respect and care regardless of who you are or where you come from!

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I think it’s incredibly brave of you to share, and it must have taken a lot of strength to get where you are. It sounds like you’re putting in a lot of hard work towards managing your depression and that is immensely admirable. We all have our days when the depression can weigh heavily on us, but focusing on the things that keep us grounded and motivated can help to lighten the burden if even just a little bit.

It is important not to be ashamed or embarrassed in asking for help. Your mental health should always be treated with respect so never feel like you need to go through this alone! You are worth taking care of and taking time for yourself.