My ocd journey - dealing with compulsions

I have been struggling with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) since I was a teen. It has been a long and difficult journey, with moments of progress followed by times of setback.

At first I didn’t understand what was going on, why I felt compelled to do certain things in a certain order or manner. But as I slowly started to learn more about OCD, I realized this is what I was dealing with. My compulsive behavior became clear: it felt like while my mind was anxious and out of control, the actions came ahead as an attempt to feel some kind of control and order in my life.

With help from therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), medications, research and outside support – which are all important aspects in tackling any form of mental illness – I eventually learned how to manage my compulsions and live a more balanced life. It has not been easy but progress has been made!

Although it is rare for me not to use an obsessive-avoidance technique each day that keeps me focused on one thought or activity while minimizing anxiety-provoking environments or events, there are days where this strategy works better than others. Specifically, changing up my usual routine such as taking different routes when traveling from one place to another can help reduce the obsessions associated with intrusive thoughts. Living intentionally is also really important - taking breaks throughout the day is great for my mental health!

To those who are also struggling with OCD: you’re not alone! Don’t be afraid to reach out for help if you need it - letting your loved ones know what’s going on can be incredibly helpful in giving you the support and resources necessary to fight through this journey together. You can overcome this - it just takes time, dedication and self-awareness!