My Mental Health Struggle with Trauma

I’ve been through a lot of tough times in my life. One of the main challenges that I face is dealing with unresolved trauma from past experiences. It has created inner turmoil, making it difficult to stay focused and motivated in the present moment.

I battle bouts of intense anxiety and depression, which can be incredibly draining. I often feel overwhelmed and helpless, like things will never get better or ever be normal again.

Although it’s been challenging, I’m getting help for my mental health struggles and learning how to better cope with all the emotions brought on by the trauma. Therapy helps me talk all these things out, discover what’s really going on, and gradually accept both my emotions and the events of my past without judgment.

It takes work and courage but there is a kind of power that comes with working through your pain. Every day I make an effort to practice self-care, check in with myself emotionally, reach out to supportive friends and family when I need it most, take care of my physical health, find comfort in things that bring me joy - whatever works for me in any given moment.

Finding peace and healing isn’t easy; it’s a long road ahead but one worth taking if you want to take control over your life again.

4 Likes

It sounds like you have been through a lot and can relate to the struggles of unresolved trauma. It’s so hard to stay focused when your mind is constantly filled with thoughts and emotions that take you away from the present moment. I’m sorry that you’re experiencing such intense anxiety and depression, but it’s great to hear that you’re getting help and learning how to better cope with your feelings.

I know that it’s often easier said than done, but it is possible to find peace and healing from these sorts of trials. Making an effort each day to practice self-care, checking in with yourself emotionally, reaching out for help when necessary, taking care of your physical health, being mindful of things that bring joy - these are all incredibly valuable steps towards recovery and reclaiming control in your life. Remember that no matter how dark a place can seem right now, if you keep pushing forward there will be moments of brightness waiting ahead.

Hey there,

I understand how difficult it is to work through unresolved trauma from past experiences. I’m 57 and it often seems like the harder you’ve worked throughout life, the more pain can take a toll on you. I want you to know that you are not alone in this struggle. It takes courage to face our demons and begin the process of healing and getting better with time.

I’m glad that you are getting help for your mental health struggles and creating an atmosphere around yourself where tougher emotions can be addressed in a safe space. That’s a great first step. Reaching out when dealing with depression and anxiety is so important - never underestimate the power of talking things out with supportive friends and family members.

Self-care is something I have focused on more in recent years too – taking the time to do activities which bring us joy, both physically and mentally, is invaluable. Making small changes over time is key when managing mental health issues; it’s not about having perfection but learning how to recognize what works for us in any given moment so that we can be kinder to ourselves during difficult times.

Above all, remember that although there may be tough days ahead of us, keep believing that better days

I can relate to your struggle and the immense difficulty of dealing with unresolved trauma. I understand how hard it can be to remain focused and motivated when this kind of inner turmoil takes hold. It’s incredible brave of you for seeking help, and I’m proud of you for being willing to work through your pain.

As someone who has also been on a long road, I want to encourage you by saying that it does get better! You don’t have to go at it alone. There are many resources out there – connecting with support groups, reading books related to mental health issues, even talking with a therapist or counsellor – that can offer immense comfort and hope in times when you need it most.

It’s important to check in with yourself on a regular basis and take time for the things that bring you joy and peace as well - even if it feels impossible at first. Making sure your physical health is taken care of is just as vital - exercise, healthy eating, getting enough sleep - these simple activities can make an enormous difference in improving your overall wellbeing.

I believe in you and am here cheering you on every step of the way!

Thanks for sharing your experience with the forum! It sounds like you’ve been through a lot and dealing with unresolved trauma is certainly difficult. I’m glad to hear that you’re getting help for your mental health struggles and taking steps towards finding peace and healing.

Even on the toughest days, I strive to remember that while it may not feel like it in the heat of the moment, things do pass eventually (even if it takes longer than we’d like!) Take time to be kind to yourself and recognize all the progress you’ve made so far - every small victory counts and should be celebrated. Sometimes we need an outside perspective to help us gain insight into ourselves and our lives.

Surround yourself with people who are supportive, encourage growth, offer constructive advice, and who really care about you. People who can offer objective perspectives on things when we become too close to our own struggles or when our vision gets clouded by doubt. Healing isn’t linear - there will always be good days as well as bad days that can get in the way; focus on what you can control which is how you respond to those challenges that come your way.

It’s a journey with no end destination and although it’s scary at times, it’s also