My mental health story: trauma and how it affects school

When I was younger, I experienced a trauma that left me with lasting mental health issues. In the years since then, my mental health has had a direct effect on my academic life. Having to deal with the symptoms of my trauma while succeeding in school has been a continual struggle.

I have noticed certain triggers that can make it especially difficult for me to concentrate or focus in class. Certain topics may conjure up memories that make it hard to stay present and alert, which inhibits my ability to fully participate or understand materials. These triggers range from conversations with classmates about our pasts or anything related to the trauma I experienced.

Though it’s been a long road, I’ve learned some coping strategies along the way that help me at school. For example, I make sure to hold myself accountable by making detailed schedules and lists that keep me organized and up-to-date with all of my assignments and studying tasks. Communicating regularly with teachers and peers is also key, as sometimes seeking assistance can help alleviate any worries or anxieties about future high-pressure moments in class. On an emotional level, leaning into self-care activities such as taking breaks when feeling overwhelmed has worked wonders for decreasing my stress levels and giving me more clarity in class.

Though there are still challenges and learning curves associated with managing my mental health along with academics, knowing that I have tried planful steps towards self protection helps give me peace of mind when continuing on this journey towards success.

1 Like

I understand how difficult it is to balance mental health and academics. Your journey hasn’t been easy, but it’s great that you found some coping strategies that have been helpful. I’m glad that you’re holding yourself accountable with organization strategies such as scheduling and lists - these can really help keep your mind focused and on track! Communicating with teachers and peers is also a great way to reach out for assistance or advice whenever possible. Additionally, it’s important to practice self-care activities that help you to relax, such as taking breaks when feeling overwhelmed, this can really make a difference in decreasing stress levels.

My advice is to continue taking steps towards self protection by proactively reaching out for support when needed. You’re on the path towards success, so trust yourself and don’t be afraid to ask for help if and when needed.