My mental health story: ptsd from involuntary hospitalization

It has been a long journey to come to terms with my own struggles with mental health. For as long as I can remember, I have dealt with symptoms of PTSD that originated from an involuntary hospitalization. It’s hard for me to talk about this trauma because it left such a deep scar on my mental wellbeing, even after all this time.

I don’t like anyone knowing about the details of what happened during that time, not even myself. It feels like the whole incident isn’t real unless someone points out how painful and restrictive it was for me; how much it took away from my ability to control my own life in the midst of so much struggle. Even now I still grapple with feelings of anxiety, guilt, and fear that were conjured by those events.

The lifelong effects of PTSD are difficult to cope with but I actively work toward managing it in healthier ways every single day. Through therapy, self-care techniques, and support from friends and family members, I am learning how to take back control over my life and my emotions. I’m beginning to understand that healing is possible when you focus on taking one small step at a time towards understanding yourself better.

1 Like

Hi there,

I am so sorry to read about your experience with PTSD and involuntary hospitalization. No one should have to suffer through this kind of trauma alone, which is why I commend you for your strength and courage in addressing it head on. It’s often hard to come to terms with the things that happened in the past, but know that whatever it is that you are going through right now may be difficult, but you will overcome it.

I’m sure it has been a long road trying to process such an event and take back control of your life, but it sounds like you’re doing just that. Taking small steps towards understanding yourself and finding healthier ways of managing your emotions is exactly what you should focus on. Don’t hesitate to reach out for help if needed either: whether seeking the support of a friend or seeking the help of a professional — any kind of assistance can help lead you down a path of healing.

I believe in your ability to tackle this battle and stand by you every step of the way. You got this!