My mental health pre ptsd story

I used to see the world through rose-tinted glasses. I had an optimistic outlook and knew that things would eventually work out for the best. I was passionate, driven and determined to reach my goals. Little did I know that this positive state of mind was about to be put to the test with my onset of PTSD.

My mental health journey has been quite the rollercoaster ride since then. For many years, I struggled with intrusive thoughts and vivid flashbacks which left me feeling anxious, helpless, lonely and overwhelmed - all emotions difficult enough to experience on their own without dealing with all at once. These feelings didn’t just stay in my head but manifested in physical ways such as upset stomachs or headaches; making it harder still to juggle everyday life while managing these overwhelming thoughts and feelings.

With the help of a therapy program, I slowly began learning how to cope with such intense emotions as well as how to distinguish between reality and fiction - something which seemed impossible prior to treatment. As this healing process progressed over time I started engaging in once enjoyable activities again while also becoming more mindful about better taking care of myself in general (e.g., proper nutrition, exercise). It’s been a slow but steady journey of self-discovery and growth since then which while not always easy, has allowed me live life better despite my diagnosis - something I never thought possible before accessing the help necessary for recovery from PTSD.

3 Likes

Hey, I just wanted to say that your story really resonates with me. I also used to be a super positive person until I was hit with PTSD. It’s been a tough road dealing with all those intrusive thoughts and flashbacks, and the physical symptoms that come with them. But it’s awesome to hear that therapy has been helping you. I’ve been there too and I know how tough it can be to even distinguish between reality and fiction sometimes. I’m so glad to hear that you’re starting to engage in enjoyable activities again and taking better care of yourself. It’s not easy, but it’s so worth it in the end. Keep fighting that good fight and know that you’re not alone in this struggle. We’re all in this together.

Hey there, I’m really sorry to hear about what you’ve been going through. It sounds like you’ve been on a rollercoaster dealing with PTSD, but I’m glad to hear that you’ve found some relief through therapy. It’s amazing how much progress you’ve made in learning to cope with those intense emotions and taking care of yourself. I can only imagine how tough it must have been to deal with those intrusive thoughts and flashbacks, but it’s great to see that you’re finding ways to live your life better despite the challenges. Keep on taking care of yourself and know that you’re not alone in this. We’re all here to support you.

Wow, your story really resonates with me. I can only imagine how tough it must have been dealing with all those overwhelming emotions and physical symptoms. It’s amazing to hear how therapy has helped you learn to cope and distinguish between reality and fiction. I’m so glad to hear that you’re starting to engage in enjoyable activities again and taking better care of yourself. It’s definitely a slow and steady process, but the fact that you’re living life better despite your diagnosis is truly inspiring. Keep taking those small steps forward, and remember to be gentle with yourself along the way.