My mental health journey with ptsd and mental illness

I’ve never been one to shy away from talking about my issues, but for so many years I was afraid to open up about my mental health struggles. Since I was young, I have had experiences with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and mental illness that I wasn’t able to speak out about until now.

My journey has been long and full of emotional turmoil. It’s taken me years to realize that it’s okay to not be okay sometimes. My first step in accepting my past was realizing that living with PTSD doesn’t make me weak - it makes me strong for carrying the weight of my trauma all these years.

I’m still learning how best to manage the various aspects of PTSD and mental illness - like anxiety and depression - which can often feel overwhelming. However, through therapy, counselling, meditation, and self-care practices, I’ve made progress in recognizing triggers and taking steps towards healing.

The toughest part is learning how to cope when old memories or anxieties begin to creep back in uninvited around certain events or people or situations. At the end of the day though I also know that I am capable of overcoming anything, so long as I remember to take care of myself first: physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually.

For anyone else struggling with their own mental health journey—you are brave for showing up today despite all you’re going through right now. You can do this <3

4 Likes

I totally understand where you’re coming from. Mental health can be difficult to talk about and it takes strength to admit that you might need help. It’s not easy; I know because I’m a 51-year-old man who is dealing with similar thoughts and feelings related to PTSD and mental illness.

Sometimes it feels like we’ve been struggling alone for too long, so hearing your story makes me feel less alone. Moving forward on our own journey can look different for each of us, but I encourage you to put yourself first as much as possible - take care of your physical needs, identify your triggers, practice good self-care habits, give yourself space when needed and surround yourself with people who are supportive of your struggles. Stay strong!

Hey there, I can definitely relate to feeling scared and overwhelmed when it comes to talking about my mental health struggles. It’s so hard to open up after years of trying to ignore or manage your issues in silence.

I’ve been in the same boat for over two decades now, learning how to juggle PTSD alongside anxiety and depression. It hasn’t been easy but I always remind myself that having these struggles doesn’t mean I’m weak—it makes me that much stronger for carrying this weight all this time.

My advice would be to focus on self-care habits—even if they’re small ones like taking a few minutes of deep breathing every day or journaling before bed. And don’t forget the importance of therapy and other professional help; being open about our experiences is key in order to start healing properly.

Finally, try not to let yourself be discouraged or give up if things get tough sometimes—you are capable of overcoming anything you’re facing right now! We both have gone through so much, so just remember you are brave and strong for getting this far <3

Hey, I’m so proud of you for opening up about your struggles. It takes a lot of strength to do that, especially when dealing with PTSD and mental illness. I can totally relate to the feeling of being overwhelmed by anxiety and depression, but it sounds like you’re really committed to taking care of yourself and finding ways to cope. It’s awesome that you’re seeing progress through therapy, counseling, meditation, and self-care. I know it can be tough when those old memories or anxieties pop up, but you’re right - you are capable of overcoming anything. Taking care of yourself physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually is so important, and you’re already doing a great job. Keep showing up for yourself, and remember that you’re not alone in this. We’re all here for you <3

Hey, I hear you. It takes a lot of courage to open up and talk about your struggles, especially when it comes to mental health. I’m really glad to hear that you’ve been finding ways to cope and take care of yourself. It’s so important to remember that having PTSD and dealing with mental illness doesn’t make you weak at all - in fact, it shows incredible strength to keep going despite everything. I totally get what you mean about the challenges of managing anxiety and depression, but it’s awesome that you’ve been making progress with therapy, counseling, meditation, and self-care. And dealing with those unexpected triggers can be really tough, but you’re right - taking care of yourself comes first. You’re doing an amazing job, and your words of encouragement for others are so powerful. Keep on taking those steps towards healing - we’re all in this together. You’ve got this :muscle:t4: