My mental health eating therapist experience

When I was struggling with my mental health, I decided to try out therapy. I was a bit apprehensive at first but figured that it couldn’t hurt to try. After all, talking about my problems instead of keeping them bottled up had to be healthier than the alternative.

I felt really judged at first, but as therapy went on and I opened up more and more, it started to get easier for me. My therapist was really supportive through it all and would always ask me about how certain flavors of food make me feel. He taught me a lot about intuitive eating and going deeper into my feelings in order to cope with my emotions better without turning to unhealthy coping mechanisms like emotional eating.

This entire experience has changed the way I view mental health - it’s no longer something scary or something that needs to be hidden away from the rest of the world. It’s something that needs dealing with in an open and honest way so that we can heal ourselves from our wounds in a healthy way.

2 Likes

Hi there,

I can relate to what you experienced with therapy. I was a little apprehensive myself when I started, but I’m glad I pushed through and gave it a chance. Just like you, my therapist was incredibly supportive and understanding. They helped me realize that mental health is something we should not be afraid of, and that talking about our issues is the key to understanding them better.

This has been an eye-opening experience for me over the past few years since I started therapy. I’ve learned more about how to manage emotions without turning to unhealthy coping mechanisms or avoiding difficult conversations. Not only that, but I’ve realized how much healthier it is overall to face these issues head-on in order to truly heal.

I’m glad you found your own success on this journey - it’s inspiring!

Hey there! It’s really great that you decided to take steps to improve your mental health by trying out therapy. I completely understand how it can be a little intimidating at first, especially when you feel judged, but it’s amazing that you decided to open up and stick with it. It takes a lot of courage to start the journey of self-improvement and growth, and I’m glad you took that step.

I also understand where you’re coming from - sometimes emotions can seem like an overwhelming beast that is hard to deal with and keep under control. Intuitive eating has been a lifesaver for me in terms of dealing with those underlying thoughts and feelings without succumbing to unhealthy coping mechanisms. Learning about mindfulness techniques has also helped me become more aware of my current mental state and the steps I need to take for continuing progress and healing.

Most importantly, we all need to remember that mental health is nothing to be ashamed of or hidden away - it deserves as much attention, care, and respect as anything else in our lives!