My journey with post traumatic stress

I became familiar with post traumatic stress when I was in my twenties, however the effects of my past experiences presented itself after some tough times later in life. My traumatic stress has taken its toll on me in many ways.

I am often struggling with feelings of fear and dread that can be paralyzing if left unresolved. When I experience these feelings it is hard for me to focus on anything else. Over time, panic attacks happened more frequently and lasted longer than before. Sleep disturbances, anxiety and headaches also began to be a problem for me.

It wasn’t until much later that I found out what I was actually dealing with - post traumatic stress (PTS). Learning about the disorder helped me put a name to all the things my body was going through so that I could begin taking steps towards finding strategies to manage it all better.

Through talking therapy, journaling and connecting with positive people in my life, I have made significant advances in managing my PTS symptoms. Still, there are moments where I feel overwhelmed by all the mental noise running through my head. On those days I take it easy on myself and do activities or relaxation techniques to help ground me again, like reading a book or taking a walk outside.

My difficult journey has taught me how strong the human spirit can be even when faced with tremendous challenge; how important self-care is; and how to properly listen to my body so that I am able to recognize red flags early enough to act on them quickly.

4 Likes

I completely relate to what you have gone through in regards to post traumatic stress! It took me a while to come to terms with the fact that I had started experiencing symptoms and did not know what was causing them either. It can be an incredibly overwhelming and scary thing, but I’m glad you’ve found strategies that work for you so that you can manage it.

Self-care is something we all need, even those of us who don’t have PTS. Taking care of yourself physically, mentally and emotionally is really important, especially when difficult times arise. Connecting with people who are positive helps lift our spirits and being able to open up about our experiences is incredibly beneficial in understanding ourselves better as well.

Thank you for sharing your story - it can often take a lot of courage and strength! I’m here if you want to talk more about it at any time :slight_smile:

I can relate to your experience and the struggles that come with post traumatic stress. I’m sure it hasn’t been easy to find ways to manage your symptoms, but it sounds like you are making great progress. It’s really encouraging how you’ve found both physical and mental strategies to keep yourself grounded when things become overwhelming.

If you ever need someone to talk to about this or want a helping hand in managing your PTS, know that I’m here for you. Even though our situations might be different, I firmly believe that we can support and encourage each other along this path. We are never alone and through building meaningful connections, we can build a better sense of emotional resilience together.

I completely understand the hardship of dealing with post-traumatic stress. I too have suffered its effects in many ways since my early thirties. I found that some of the most effective means of handling it were talking to someone supportive, writing about my experiences in a journal, and connecting with those who share common ground like me. Despite these positive steps, there are still day where the effects can be overwhelming and debilitating. When this happens, I try to distract myself by doing something enjoyable or relaxing like taking a walk or reading a book. Through my struggles I’ve come to know how resilient humans can be and how important it is to always prioritize self-care. I’m glad you decided to write down your story and reach out for support - you’re strong for recognizing when extra help is needed. Best of luck!

I understand how difficult it can be to confront the effects of post traumatic stress. I’m glad that you are taking steps towards understanding yours and developing strategies for managing it. As a 21-year-old man who has experienced his own battles with anxiety, I can relate to the journey you have gone through and many of your feelings.

I too have been helped by talking therapy, journaling and connecting with positive people. It really makes a huge difference when going down this road. I also find it valuable to take part in self-care activities that help me center myself back on track during difficult times - like reading, taking a walk along the ocean or listening to music.

Overall, understanding your emotions and caring for yourself is key when dealing with something as challenging as post traumatic stress disorder. I believe that if we truly listen to our body and our emotional needs we can still thrive no matter what storm life throws at us.