My journey with addiction and mental health

It’s been a long and hard road, but I believe I’m finally on the path to recovery from addiction and mental health issues. It all started many years ago; I didn’t realize how much of an effect it was having on my life until later on in the process. It felt like a never-ending struggle between my will and the overwhelming urges of addiction.

What made it even harder was that I was struggling to talk about how these difficulties were affecting me on an emotional level and didn’t feel comfortable or safe opening up about what I was going through. So, here I was, facing an increasingly difficult situation with no support system to lean on. Fortunately, things gradually began to look up as I courageously embraced steps into the unknown.

I had never talked about my story before and it felt totally liberating to open up about my personal journey without shame or embarrassment. With help from various professionals, support groups and medications (when necessary), I slowly reconnected with myself and my core values to ensure that this cycle of addiction does not repeat itself in the future.

Of course, I still have bad days where anxiety takes hold of me but now this is manageable due in large part to focusing on positive coping strategies: journaling, meditating, practicing self-care activities like yoga etc…Today I am starting down a new path related to addiction understanding that mine is only one story out of many untold ones which can unite us all in mutual understanding should we choose.