My experience with post combat stress disorder

I’ve been back home from duty for some time now, but ever since returning I feel like a different person. It feels like I’m living in a fog of depression and anxiety that won’t lift no matter how hard I try to break free from it. The worst part is the nightmares - they haunt me almost nightly and allude to horrors that stay with me when I awake.

I was lucky enough to be able to talk about what I went through with someone who truly understood – a veteran of the same war – and it made me realize that what I was experiencing was post combat stress disorder or PTSD. For months, I had ignored the symptoms only to find that by speaking with someone who walked the same road as me, my life began toimprove immensely. After meeting regularly with a psychologist and learning more effective ways to manage stress and fear, along with plenty of understanding and support from family and friends, I finally started recognizing positive changes within myself as rebuilding took place.

PTSD can come in many shapes and sizes- for some its physical, emotional, mental - but no matter how severe or mild one’s experience may be every sufferer deserves attention and care. By reaching out for help at the right time you are taking charge of your life once again; gaining confidence and courage day by day on your own unique journey back freedom from this disorder.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story – it can be really terrifying when you’re faced with the physical and emotional symptoms of PTSD. I’m glad that you reached out to a veteran who could provide insight and understanding that was outside of what you were going through. That first step may not have been easy, but it was certainly a courageous one.

Seeking professional help has surely made a difference in your recovery process. Counseling is an invaluable resource, especially if you don’t feel supported by family or friends as they might not be able to understand this condition from personal experience. Having a psychologist on board is key – having an outsider perspective can give valuable guidance and encouragement when it seems like the fog won’t ever dissipate.

Everyone deals with PTSD differently - there’s no single path that works for everyone - but being proactive and taking the necessary steps will allow you to manage your symptoms more effectively over time. As long as you’re open to finding the right kind of help to suit your individual needs, you’ll soon start noticing changes within yourself too. Remember, healing is a journey so take it at your own pace, be kind to yourself, and enjoy the little successes along the way!

Hey man, I’m really sorry to hear about what you’ve been going through. It sounds like you’ve been dealing with a lot, but it’s great that you were able to connect with another veteran and get some clarity on what’s been happening. It’s awesome that you’ve been able to see improvements after talking to a psychologist and getting support from your loved ones. PTSD can be really tough, and it’s different for everyone, but it’s amazing that you’re taking steps to manage it and work towards feeling better. You’re not alone in this, and it’s okay to ask for help. Keep pushing through, and remember that progress takes time. Take care of yourself, and keep leaning on those who care about you. You’ve got this.

Hey, thanks for sharing your story. I can totally relate to what you’re going through. Coming back from duty can really mess with your head, and the nightmares are the worst. It’s awesome that you found someone who understands and talking to a psychologist has been a gamechanger for me too. It’s crazy how much support from friends and family can make a difference, right? PTSD is no joke, but reaching out for help is a huge step in the right direction. Hang in there, man. You’re not alone in this.

Hey there, I hear you. I went through something similar after returning from duty. It’s tough, but you’re not alone. Talking to someone who gets it can make a huge difference. I found that regular sessions with a psychologist really helped me manage my PTSD symptoms. It’s great that you’ve been able to recognize the positive changes within yourself. Keep reaching out for help and support, you deserve it. And remember, everyone’s experience with PTSD is unique, but we all deserve understanding and care. Stay strong, things can get better.