My Experience with Long-Term Antidepressant Use

I’m writing this post to talk about my long-term experience with taking antidepressants. I want to share my story in case it can help anyone else out there going through a similar challenge.

First, let me say that I’ve found antidepressant medication to be a real lifesaver when it comes to managing depression and anxiety on a daily basis. My doctor prescribed me the medications two years ago, and since then, I have seen major improvements in my mental health. Even before the pandemic took over life as we know it, the meds had allowed me to stay productive and levelheaded throughout most of each day.

That being said, I don’t think taking antidepressants is easy - no matter how beneficial they are. There can be many side effects that you have to continually deal with, which can sometimes make you feel worse than before you even started taking them! But, for every difficult day or week where my brain didn’t seem quite right, there has always been someone or something (could be anything from friends and family to exercise routines!) that made life feel more manageable again.

Overall, taking antidepressants has been one of the best things I have done for my mental health - as daunting and challenging as it may be at times. Not only has it helped me manage my symptoms better so that I can lead an active and engaged life, but it has also taught me valuable lessons about patience that will continue to guide me down the road.

2 Likes

Hi there! Thank you for sharing this part of your story. I understand how difficult it can be to find the courage and strength to make such a big decision for yourself, especially when it involves taking medication that can have a significant impact on your life.
I’ve been in a similar situation before, so I completely relate. It took me some getting used to at first; but after some trial and error with different regimens, I was able to settle into a routine that works well for me. Throughout the process, I’ve been lucky enough to have lots of support from close friends and family who were there to listen when things felt rough. Having people in my corner has made all the difference - both in managing my own mental health and in understanding ways that I can personally continue striving towards feeling better.

All-in-all, taking antidepressants has been worth the journey for me – not just for the physical benefits, but also on an emotional level. Sure, there may be days where things feel not quite right - but know that healing takes time and perseverance is key. After all this is your life; you deserve whatever happiness this world has to offer!

I relate to your story and appreciate you for reaching out here and being open about your journey with taking antidepressants. It can be really challenging to deal with the side effects and not know how the medication will affect you, but I’m glad to hear it’s been working well for you over the past few years.

I’m sure that even though it may have been difficult there were elements of growth and lessons learned throughout this experience. I’m honored to have shared a part of your story and wish you much strength as you continue on this path.