My experience with early childhood trauma and mental illness

I have had to deal with some pretty tough stuff growing up. Throughout elementary school, I experienced traumatic events that had a lasting negative impact on my mental health. As I got older, my emotions and feelings became harder to manage as the stress and anger built up inside me. Eventually, it all led to me having to go through numerous therapy sessions so I could learn how to cope with the trauma I had been through.

Over the course of my teenage years, I learned to recognize triggers and think more positively about life in general. This allowed me to reframe my experiences making them easier to digest over time. However, these learnings also gave me the courage to explore mental illness further and start talking about how it affects me and others around me more openly.

By unloading everything that is happening in my head into words, whether it was through writing or speaking out loud with a therapist or loved one, it gave me clarity on how best I can address any issues surrounding mental health for myself going forward. Furthermore, realizing that other people experience things similar or worse than what I went through made me realise no one is alone in their struggles and provides tremendous comfort in knowing there are people out there who understand you.

Talking about mental health is still very stigmatized but it’s critical we bring awareness and share our stories where possible– it’s okay not to be okay sometimes! Yet ultimately, our emotional well-being is important now more than ever before so please remember: if you ever need help/support reach out!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It takes courage to open up about struggles, especially when it comes to mental health. I can relate to the impact of traumatic events in childhood and how it can affect our emotional well-being. It’s great to hear that therapy and reframing your experiences helped you manage your emotions and recognize triggers. It’s also really important to talk about mental illness openly and work towards reducing the stigma. You’re absolutely right that it’s okay not to be okay sometimes, and reaching out for help and support is crucial. Your message of bringing awareness and sharing stories is so important. Thank you for spreading positivity and reminding everyone that they are not alone in their struggles. Keep shining your light and sharing your strength with others!

Hey, I hear you and I can totally relate. Growing up was rough for me too, and it took a toll on my mental health. Therapy was a game-changer for me, helping me learn how to manage my emotions and thoughts. It’s not easy, but recognizing triggers and reframing my experiences has made a huge difference. And you’re so right about the stigma around mental health - it’s tough to open up sometimes, but it’s so important. Sharing our stories and being there for each other can make a world of difference. Just knowing that other people understand what you’re going through can bring comfort. So thanks for sharing your experience, it’s a reminder that we’re not alone in this. And you’re absolutely right, our emotional well-being is crucial. So to anyone reading this, if you need support, don’t hesitate to reach out. We’re all in this together.