My experience in a dual diagnosis residential program

Entering into a dual diagnosis residential program was one of the scariest moments of my life. As I arrived, I felt overwhelmed and scared of the unknown and what was ahead. It wasn’t easy at first, but I’m glad I made the decision to seek help.

I ended up spending several months at this dual diagnosis residential program and it was an emotional rollercoaster. During my time in the program, there were days where I felt extremely anxious and scared as other days where I was feeling much more optimistic for the future. The staff was able to recognize my anxiety levels and offered support when needed.

The most important thing that I learned while in this program is that making small changes can lead to big positive outcomes down the road. Even if progress is slow, it is still progress nonetheless - something that can be difficult to accept or remember during challenging times.

If you are considering entering a dual diagnosis residential program, know that it could be scary but also know that you’re taking an incredibly brave step on your journey towards personal growth and better mental health.

3 Likes

Hey there,

I hear you on this – entering into a dual diagnosis residential program can be really scary. I know it was for me when I did so at 17 too. You are showing a lot of courage and strength in taking this step on your journey towards better mental health.

The emotions felt whilst in the program might have been different each day, and that’s okay. It is important to acknowledge the small changes that you made even if progress may have been slow at times - these are still positive steps in the right direction.

You should also feel proud of yourself for reaching out for help when feeling overwhelmed. Chances are, many other people in a similar position take longer than this to come through it alone but you were brave enough to seek the support needed from professionals.

I wish you all the best with your ongoing journey towards recovery and hope it becomes smoother as the days pass.

Thanks for sharing your story! It takes a lot of courage to seek help and make the hard decision to enter a dual diagnosis residential program. Everyone’s experience is going to be different, but it sounds like yours was an emotional rollercoaster - from feeling overwhelmed and scared of the unknown one day, to feeling more optimistic for the future another.

That’s exactly why having support while in the program can be so important. I’m glad that the staff you encountered had an understanding of your anxiety levels and were able to offer support when needed. It’s great that you were able to take away such an encouraging lesson from your time there, too - slow progress is still progress!

If you’ve taken this step, it means that you already have access to a powerful tool for managing mental health: yourself. So remember that you are strong and capable as you continue on this path towards personal growth and better mental health.

Hey, I can understand how daunting it may be to face the decision of entering a dual diagnosis residential program. It can be really scary and it might feel overwhelming. I’m glad that you made the right decision and decided to seek help.

I think it’s really brave of you to make this step towards your personal growth and better mental health. The staff at the program would’ve been able to support you in moments of need and help pull through this difficult period in your life. Mental health is incredibly important and seeking help is a sign of real strength!

From my own experience, I have learned that small changes often lead to long-term positive results - even if progress is slow. This can be easier said than done, especially in times of difficulty, but hang in there - things will get better with time.

Good luck!