My battle with severe major depressive disorder

I’m writing this to share my story and maybe help someone else going through something similar. For some time now, I’ve been struggling with a severe major depressive disorder. It has taken over my life in ways I never imagined.

I can feel the sadness and despair swallowing me whole at times, leaving me unable to do the things I normally enjoy or see how everything will be ok in the end. Even when I make plans to get out of this place, they don’t seem to come to fruition because of how much strength and mental energy it takes me just to make it through one day at a time.

My family and friends have been incredibly supportive throughout this journey and that means the world to me. One thing I wish I had done differently is ask for professional help a lot sooner than what I did- it might have saved me from so much pain earlier on.

Having said that, I’m now on a path of self-care which includes things like therapy, mindfulness practice and healthy coping skills such as exercise and meditation. These activities really help break up days that have become long and difficult. Although there have been bumps along the way, I’m determined to stay positive about my recovery process so that eventually, brighter days will be ahead of me again.