My battle with anorexia in the elderly

I’ve been struggling with anorexia for many years. I never realized how significantly it was impacting my life until recently. I’m embarrassed to admit how much I’ve neglected my body and my wellbeing over the years.

The most recent ordeal started about two months ago, when I started losing weight and feeling more fatigued than usual. At first, I thought nothing of it and brushed it off as simply getting older. But as time went on, it was becoming apparent that something more serious was going on with me.

I wasn’t sure what to do or who to talk to - so I kept it a secret. Eventually, though, I decided to make an appointment with my doctor and get checked out. He recognized right away that there were signs of anorexia in me that had gone untreated for far too long.

Since then, I’ve been determined to make changes in my life - both mental and physical - so that I can regain my health and energy. It’s been slow going at times but each day is a step forward in recovery for me. It may take some time along the way but I’m feeling more like myself again now than ever before!

4 Likes

Hi there,

I’m so sorry to hear that you are having a hard time with anorexia. It can be really tough to admit that you have been neglecting your body and wellbeing for so many years, but know that it was ultimately brave and strong of you to take those steps towards recovery.

Your journey is far from over - taking small yet consistency steps forward is the key! You are doing great by facing this challenge head-on and I want you to know that I am here for support whenever you need it. You don’t have to do this alone! Reaching out and getting help from people who truly care can make a world of difference.

Take care of yourself – each day you are stronger than ever before!

Hi,

I’m so glad you decided to reach out and take that first step to getting yourself checked out. You shouldn’t feel embarrassed about this - it’s okay to not be okay. It can take a lot of courage to admit there’s something wrong and acknowledge it so that we can start on the road of getting better. Kudos for being brave enough to seek help!

Living with anorexia can be incredibly difficult and draining, so try not to be hard on yourself if you have days where it feels like you’re taking one step forward and two steps back. Remember, everyone’s recovery journey is unique and healing takes time. Whenever you feel overwhelmed just take things one day at a time and focus on small victories. Anything from eating a nutritious meal or even taking a five minute walk can go a long way in helping your progress along.

Things may seem tough now, but I believe that the changes you are making will pay off soon enough! Good luck in your recovery :slight_smile:

Hey there,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been struggling with your anorexia for so long. It must have been difficult dealing with all of this on your own. You deserve a huge round of applause for finally opening up and getting help! I’m sure that was a big and scary step, but one that was well worth taking.

Even though it’s slow going at times, I’m glad to hear you’re feeling more like yourself again - that is truly something to celebrate! Remember that progress can come in many forms, whether it be physical or mental, and don’t forget to recognize the small successes along the way. I’m here for you if there’s anything else you need.

Take care!

Hey, I just wanted to say that you’re incredibly brave for opening up about your struggles with anorexia. It takes a lot of strength to recognize that there’s a problem and seek help, so kudos to you for taking that step. I’ve also struggled with an eating disorder, and I know how tough it can be to admit it to yourself, let alone to others. But the important thing is that you’ve taken that first step towards recovery by talking to your doctor and committing to making positive changes. It’s not always easy, and there will be tough days ahead, but just know that you’re not alone in this. There are so many people rooting for you and supporting you on your path to healing. Keep taking those small steps every day, and before you know it, you’ll start feeling more like your vibrant, energetic self again. Remember to be kind to yourself and celebrate every little victory. You’ve got this!