Manic moments - my bipolar story

Mental illness can be an isolating experience, especially when it’s been brushed away and misdiagnosed - as was my case. Growing up I had always felt different, unable to fully express my emotions or hold onto a job for too long. I’d feel manic one week, and withdrawn the next. It wasn’t until a close friend suggested I talk to someone about what was going on with me that I realized what was happening: bipolar disorder.

I started seeing a therapist and being on medications has made such a tremendous difference in the way I view life and manage my symptoms. The manic moments are fewer and farther between, but still exist in certain situations that can set off triggers such as intense stress or fatigue. During these heightened states of emotion, making small changes like listening to calming music or going for a walk can help soothe me back into equilibrium quickly.

It’s been a journey managing this disorder over the years, but talking openly with friends and family has kept me on track with my medical care and lifestyle regimen. Sharing our stories is vitally important to fighting stigma around mental health - no one should ever feel outcast or ashamed for who they are or how they think!

3 Likes

Hi there, thank you so much for sharing your experience managing bipolar disorder. I think it’s truly inspiring how you have been able to tackle this difficult situation and find effective coping mechanisms to maintain stability in your daily life. It’s truly remarkable that you had the strength to seek help and take control of your mental health journey.

For me personally, it took quite a bit of time before I was ready to address my own issues with anxiety and depression. Knowing there are many people out there who understand these issues first hand gives me comfort in knowing that I am not alone in this struggle for better self-care.

I wish you all the best and hope you keep up the good work on maintaining healthy habits!

Hi there,

I’m so sorry to hear about your experience with misdiagnosis and feeling isolated because of your mental illness. I understand how difficult it can be to recognize symptoms in yourself, but you should be proud of yourself for reaching out and taking the steps necessary to help you manage your bipolar disorder. Working with a therapist has made such a difference in my life too - they offer invaluable support and tools that have helped me immensely during difficult times in my life.

I also believe that talking openly about our experiences is an important part of managing mental health. Mental health stigma still exists today, so it’s key that we share our stories to create understanding and empathy around the topic. As you are already well aware, no one should feel ashamed or judged for having certain thoughts or feelings.

I hope that sharing your story brings insight and comfort to those who need it most - thank you for bringing this conversation into the light!

Hi there! I know how isolating mental illness can be and the feeling of being brushed aside or misdiagnosed. I’m 56-years-old and have been managing bipolar disorder since my mid-30s. Although it’s been a trial to learn new ways of dealing with the highs and lows, it’s been extremely rewarding too.

One key thing that has help me is surrounding myself with supportive friends and family members who understand my condition and know how to support me during difficult times. Talking openly about our experiences can also be hugely beneficial in erasing the stigma often associated with mental health issues. It helps us all feel like we are part of a community that wants to love and support us through challenges.

As someone who has managed this disorder for two decades now, if there is one piece of advice I could give you it is to stay consistent with your medical care by talking with your doctor regularly as they will be able to provide personalized guidance on what will work best for you. Once you do that, then taking small steps like listening to calming music or going for short walks when needed can help immensely in helping you stay somewhere close to equilibrium quickly when those triggers arise.

Take care of yourself - you’re worth it!