Managing comorbid adhd and bipolar as an adult - my story

Life has been a rocky road since I was diagnosed with both ADHD and bipolar disorder. It’s hard to manage two mental health diagnoses when you feel like you’re constantly having to navigate between each condition.

When my ADHD symptoms flare up, it usually impacts my mood and makes it harder for me to focus on tasks. At those moments, I have to remind myself that the brain can be trained, even if it takes longer for someone like me with comorbid conditions. I use strategies such as breaking down lengthy tasks into more concrete and achievable steps in order to stay on track with work, school, hobbies or any other projects I’m taking on. Because both of these forms of mental health issues don’t go away completely, I also try to practice self-care and take care of my physical health too. Eating healthy foods, exercising regularly, getting enough sleep and being mindful of when I need extra rest are some activities which help keep me balanced.

The biggest lesson I have learnt is patience; life is not a sprint but rather a marathon. Everyone has their own story with their mental health journey so there’s no one “right” way to cope or manage different conditions. Having said that, what works for some may not work for everyone–it took trial and error (and lots of support) until I found out what worked best for me personally!