Living with seasonal affective disorder

Living with seasonal affective disorder can often be hard. As the days become shorter and darker during this time of year, I can experience feelings of depression, lethargy, loneliness and fatigue - all of which make it difficult to do everyday tasks.

While I wouldn’t wish it on anyone, I have had to find ways to manage my condition in order to cope with the changing seasons. Exercise has been a great source of relief for me - not only does it help release endorphins that can boost my mood and energy levels but it’s also a distraction from the day-to-day mental clutter winter months can bring. Keeping a regular sleep routine has benefited me too; getting into a good rhythm means I’m more in tune with my body clock which helps prevent those extreme low points that tend to drag me down. Likewise, talking regularly with family and friends about how I’m feeling has given me an outlet for processing any negative emotions or thoughts that might surface around this time.

No two people experience seasonal affective disorder in quite the same way so its important for me to recognise signs early and develop tailored strategies to get through each winter season. Through management and self-care, I can come out stronger at the other side.

1 Like

I know what you’re going through - seasonal affective disorder is a real challenge during these darker months. It can be hard to maintain everyday tasks and your feelings of depression, lethargy, loneliness, and fatigue are completely understandable.

Fortunately, I have also found some really beneficial strategies for managing my seasonal affective disorder. Exercise has been a saving grace; it not only helps me physically but mentally too by providing an escape and distraction from the negative thoughts that can arise this time of year. I also make sure to stick to a solid sleeping routine so that I’m in tune with the changing of the seasons, which has greatly reduced extreme low points in the past. And talking to loved ones is truly invaluable; having someone listen to your struggles can bring immense relief and an outlet for sharing your emotions without judgement.

We all have our own ways of managing our condition and it’s important to find coping methods tailored to you as an individual. Seasonal affective disorder can be hard but it doesn’t have to be something that holds us back or wears us down. With some mindful effort we can come out stronger on the other side!