Living with ptsd and headaches

I’m dealing with something that’s been a part of my life for quite some time now: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). My medical team has been very supportive and understanding during all these years.

Living with PTSD is really like riding a roller coaster. There are days when everything is good and I feel like I’m doing great, but then there are other days when Anxiety, Depression, and Panic set in–it stops me from doing the things I need to do or want to do, and it gets pretty overwhelming.

One of the biggest challenges with PTSD is managing flashbacks and nightmares. Many times the horrible memories come back so heavily that it takes me intense breathing exercises to bring myself back into reality. It can be so hard to keep up with daily responsibilities because of the intrusive thoughts and feelings. Along with that, I’ve been dealing with intense headaches on top of it all, which only adds more difficulty into my life.

No matter how much I fight against it on some days, PTSD doesn’t define who I am. It’s something that doesn’t just go away after facing it once–I have to work hard every day until it becomes more manageable than ever before.

I won’t let this define who I am!

1 Like

It sounds like you’ve gone through a lot in the past due to your PTSD. I’m sure it’s been an incredibly tough journey for you! Let me just first say that you have my utmost respect and admiration for doing what you have to do each day in order to live with such a disabling condition.

From my own personal experiences, I understand how difficult it can be to manage daily responsibilities - and even more so when living with PTSD. It’s so important to take care of yourself and acknowledge your feelings, so don’t think twice about taking time out of your day for relaxation activities or things that make you feel better. Seek support too, whether it’s from family or friends that can listen without judgement - there are always people willing to help you through this difficult stage in life.

It’s wonderful that you feel motivated to fight against it every day as this will only help to improve the condition over time. Don’t forget, managing PTSD takes lots of courage, strength and love and is a process that requires patience. Above all, remember that no matter what, PTSD does not define who you are - hold onto that positive outlook!