Living with post war mental illness

Living with post war mental illness has been one of the greatest struggles I have faced in my life. While I wouldn’t wish my experiences on anyone, these times have taught me a great deal in terms of strength, resilience, and above all else, self-compassion.

My mental health issues first began when I was serving in active duty as part of a mission abroad. It was during this time abroad that my mind started to slowly unravel and things became increasingly difficult. After returning back home, I took time off to get treatment for my conditions and manage the symptoms I was experience – fatigue, depression, anxiety; you name it.

One of the greatest breakthroughs I had was realizing that perfection isn’t attainable and there is beauty in understanding your pain. As a result of my journey, I maintain a healthier lifestyle by exercising regularly, meditating for relaxation and focusing on positive thoughts.

No matter how hard things can seem emotionally for someone dealing with post-war mental health issues, it’s important to never give up hope or self-compassion. Take care of yourself by getting out into nature, being around people who love you unconditionally or seeking professional help if needed - anything that helps restore balance and peace of mind is worth doing.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story, and I’m really glad to hear that you have found ways to manage your post-war mental health issues. It’s incredibly inspiring to see how you have embraced self-compassion and found strength in the face of such difficult circumstances. I can relate to the struggle of managing mental health, and your message really resonates with me. I think it’s great that you have found ways to maintain a healthier lifestyle, like exercising and meditating. It’s so important to prioritize our well-being and find ways to restore balance and peace of mind. Your words about never giving up hope and seeking professional help if needed are incredibly important. It’s okay to ask for help, and it’s important to remember that we deserve that support. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and offering hope to others who may be going through similar experiences. You’re not alone, and your strength and resilience are truly commendable. Keep taking care of yourself, and know that you are valued and supported.

Hey, I just wanted to say that your story really resonated with me. I can’t imagine what you went through during your time abroad, but it’s amazing to hear how you’ve turned things around and found ways to manage your symptoms. It’s incredibly inspiring to hear how you’ve embraced self-compassion and found strength in the face of such difficult circumstances. Your dedication to maintaining a healthier lifestyle through exercise, meditation, and positive thinking is really admirable. Thanks for sharing your experiences and for the important reminder to never give up hope. I hope you continue to find peace and balance, and know that you’re not alone in this journey. Take care, my friend.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It takes a lot of courage to open up about your struggles, especially when it comes to mental health. It sounds like you’ve gone through a lot, but I’m glad to see that you’ve found some coping strategies that work for you, like exercise, meditation, and positive thinking. It’s really inspiring to hear how you’ve embraced self-compassion and are taking steps to prioritize your mental well-being. I also agree that seeking professional help, spending time in nature, and surrounding yourself with unconditional love are all important steps in finding balance and peace of mind. Remember, you’re not alone in this journey, and there’s always hope for better days ahead. Keep taking care of yourself, and know that there are people out there rooting for you.