Living with ocd

Nobody talks about living with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), but it’s something I have struggled with for years. Everyone has moments of certain behaviours, but when it takes over your life and thoughts to the extent that mine does, it’s a whole different ball game.

My OCD was at its worst in my early twenties. I couldn’t do anything without checking and double-checking that everything was just so. It was exhausting, both mentally and physically. Every move I made felt like I needed to be conscious of how it would affect everything else around me and in my space.

I had a hard time even going for simple errands as things were never quite right enough for my OCD to feel okay with leaving them alone until I went back home again. To make matters worse, no matter how many times I checked something or triple-checked it, my OCD still convinced me that something could go wrong if I left it the way it was once I got out of the house or store.

The only thing that helps me manage my OCD these days is being aware of my triggers and trying to stay away from them as much as possible. For instance, having cluttered surfaces gives me an incredible amount of anxiety and so keeping them tidy helps manage it somewhat. Also sharing my feelings with others who understand what living with OCD is like has been enormously helpful – to know you are not alone can really provide strength and understanding in such moments of uncertainty when your mind starts playing tricks on you.

Yes, living with OCD can be difficult and even unbearable at times – but I am here to say that there is hope! With the right support system in place, making small changes to your daily routines can slowly help alleviate some of the tension associated with OCD behaviours over time!

3 Likes

Hi there,

I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling with OCD - it can be so hard and overwhelming when it takes over your life. I know how difficult it can be to focus on anything else when you are constantly checking and double-checking things. It’s understandable that even the simplest of errands become tremendous tasks, as everything has to be ‘just right’ for your OCD to feel satisfied.

I’ve found that being aware of triggers is essential in managing OCD. Once I identified the areas that caused me great stress or anxiety, I was able to better control them in both my thoughts as well as my environment. For example, organizing surfaces or keeping areas tidy can help provide a sense of calm and stability. In addition, speaking with someone who completely understands what you are going through is extremely beneficial - it may be hard for others around you to understand why certain things have become such a challenge for you but having someone who really gets it makes all the difference.

It’s natural to feel like the situation is hopeless but please keep in mind that there are solutions. With support and small changes in our routine, it is possible to take steps towards improving how we manage our OCD and ultimately find more peace within ourselves.

I completely understand how it feels to struggle with OCD. I have dealt with many of the same issues that you are going through. It can be incredibly difficult and exhausting both mentally and physically.

The good news is that there are things we can do to help manage our OCD. Being aware of our triggers and avoiding them whenever possible is a great way to manage our anxiety and keep our behavior under control. Also, sharing this experience with people who understand what living with OCD is like can be such an invaluable source of strength and support when things start to feel out of control.

It won’t be easy, but with support from others and small steps every day, we can make progress in confronting and overcoming our OCD symptoms. Hang in there!

Hi there,

I’m sorry to hear that you are struggling with OCD. I can relate to it as I have been dealing with similar issues for the past few years. Trust me, it’s exhausting trying to constantly be on edge all the time and having to check and double-check everything.

I’ve found that some of the best ways for me to manage my OCD is being conscious of my triggers and trying avoid them as much as possible. Looking at what sets off your OCD and then finding ways to cope with that or distract yourself from the obsessive thinking can be really helpful. Additionally, talking about it with people who understand - whether friends, family, or a counsellor - can also help in dealing with these issues; having someone else be able to relate makes a world of difference!

No matter how bad things may seem now, there is hope! Every day brings new opportunities and things will get better over time - sometimes we just need to take it one step at a time. Hang in there!