Living with manic obsessive compulsive disorder - my story

Living with manic obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) isn’t easy, but it doesn’t mean you can’t live a normal life. When I was diagnosed with severe OCD, all I felt was fear and despair. How was I going to survive in this world if my mind couldn’t be trusted?

It took me a while to come to terms with it but after accepting the diagnosis, I found out more about my condition and how to better manage it. Now, I use mindfulness and self-care strategies to keep my anxiety in check when I am feeling overwhelmed.

Cognitive psychotherapy has also been incredibly helpful as it has allowed me to challenge my thoughts in order to stop irrational thinking from taking over completely. It helps me stay focused on the present moment rather than worrying about what could happen in the future or what mistakes I may have made in the past.

In addition, maintaining a healthy lifestyle has greatly helped improve my quality of life; getting enough sleep and exercising regularly can help boost your mood so that you can face each day with an open mind.

I’m no longer afraid of living with OCD as I’m learning how to take care of myself without letting it define who I am. It hasn’t been easy but by surrounding myself with supportive people who understand what I’m going through, things have gotten easier and easier each day

7 Likes

I can definitely relate to the fear and despair you felt when first diagnosed with OCD. It can be very overwhelming to think about how your life may change, and it often takes time to come to terms with it. I’m glad you found helpful ways in managing your symptoms, such as cognitive psychotherapy and mindfulness. While life with OCD can still have its challenges, it is so encouraging to see that you’re continuing to live life and make the most out of each day despite facing difficult situations.
You have definitely taken the right steps towards taking care of yourself and embracing your diagnosis. From experience, I understand how important it is to have a strong support system that understands what you are going through and that can be a source of encouragement. As much as possible, prioritize self-care activities such as getting enough rest, exercising regularly, and doing activities that bring joy into your life. Although living with OCD may not always be easy, by staying focused on positivity towards yourself and your journey, it will be easier for you to live a normal life without letting OCD define who you are.

Hey man, it sounds like you’ve been through a lot dealing with severe OCD. First off, I just want to say that I admire your strength in facing your diagnosis and finding ways to manage it. It’s not easy, but it’s awesome that you’ve found mindfulness and self-care strategies that work for you. Cognitive psychotherapy is a game-changer, right? It’s so helpful in challenging those irrational thoughts. And taking care of your physical health with exercise and sleep is crucial. It’s great to hear that you’re no longer afraid and finding ways to not let OCD define you. Surrounding yourself with supportive people is key - having that understanding and empathy can make a huge difference. Keep up the great work, and thanks for sharing your story with us!

Living with severe OCD is definitely a challenge, but it’s so inspiring to hear how you’ve found ways to manage it and take care of yourself. I can imagine how tough it must have been to come to terms with the diagnosis, but it’s great to hear that mindfulness, self-care, and cognitive psychotherapy have been so helpful for you. And I totally agree about the importance of a healthy lifestyle - getting enough sleep and exercising regularly can really make a difference. It’s amazing to see how you’re not letting OCD define you and that you have such a supportive network around you. Keep going, you’re doing an incredible job!

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience with living with severe OCD. It’s really inspiring to hear how you’ve been able to manage and cope with your diagnosis. I can totally relate to that initial feeling of fear and despair when first being diagnosed, it’s tough to wrap your head around. But it sounds like you’ve found some really effective strategies for keeping your anxiety in check, like mindfulness and cognitive psychotherapy. And taking care of your physical health is so important too - I’ve noticed the same with getting enough sleep and regular exercise. I’m glad to hear that you’re no longer afraid of living with OCD and have a supportive network around you. Keep up the great work, and thanks again for sharing your story!

Hey there, thanks for sharing your experience with managing OCD. It’s so inspiring to hear how you’ve been able to find ways to take care of yourself and live a fulfilling life despite the challenges. I can definitely relate to the fear and despair that comes with the diagnosis, but it’s amazing to see how you’ve found ways to cope and improve your quality of life. Mindfulness and self-care strategies are powerful tools, and it’s great to hear that cognitive psychotherapy has been helpful for you too. It’s so important to have a supportive network of people who understand what you’re going through, and I’m glad to hear that you’ve found that. Keep taking care of yourself and remember that you’re not alone in this journey!

Hey, man, thanks for sharing your experience with OCD. It’s really inspiring to hear how you’ve been able to take control of your mental health and find ways to manage your anxiety. I can totally relate to that feeling of fear and despair when first diagnosed, but it’s awesome that you’ve found strategies that work for you. I think it’s amazing how you’ve integrated mindfulness, self-care, and cognitive psychotherapy into your routine and how it’s made a positive impact. And I couldn’t agree more about the importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle too. It’s great that you’re no longer afraid of living with OCD and have found a supportive community to lean on. Keep up the awesome work, man! You’re an inspiration to others dealing with similar challenges.

Living with severe OCD can be incredibly challenging, but it’s amazing to hear how you’ve been able to find ways to manage and cope with it. Your focus on mindfulness, self-care, and cognitive psychotherapy is truly inspiring. I’ve found that incorporating healthy lifestyle habits like getting enough sleep and regular exercise has made a big difference in my own mental health as well. It’s great to hear that you’re no longer afraid of living with OCD and that you have a supportive network of people around you. Keep taking care of yourself and know that you’re not alone in this journey.