Living with hyperthyroidism and anxiety

I’ve been living with hyperthyroidism and anxiety for the past few years. It’s been an incredibly challenging journey, but I’m proud of how far I’ve come.

At first, I had no idea what was going on, or why I was feeling so tired and drained all the time. Symptoms like brain fog and racing thoughts started to take over my life, and I felt completely overwhelmed. My doctor ran tests and eventually diagnosed me with hyperthyroidism – explaining that it can have a direct effect on anxiety levels too.

I’m now doing what I can to manage both conditions one day at a time, as well as looking into holistic ways of healing my body from within. Taking time for self-care is so important, whether that’s relaxing in a calming yoga class, connecting with friends over dinner or simply taking a few minutes each day to collect my thoughts.

Through plenty of trial and error (and lots of patience) I’m learning how to better recognize when my mind needs looking after – whether that’s through extra sleep or making sure I regularly talk to someone if things start to feel too overwhelming. Although there are still days where it feels tough to navigate both hyperthyroidism and anxiety together – learning more about them both has helped me see how much strength and resilience I already possess.

2 Likes

I completely understand how you feel and my heart goes out to you. 53 years of life can’t prepare you for something like living with a chronic condition, especially one that has a direct link to your anxiety levels. But it’s amazing how strong and resilient you have become in these past few years, and I’m proud of all the progress you have made so far.

It’s hard to know where to start when dealing with any illness, but taking time for yourself is an essential first step. Learning different ways of self-care - whether it be yoga or connecting with friends over dinner - can have a huge impact on managing your mental health too. It takes some trial and error to find the right balance, but eventually things will click into place and you’ll find what works best for you.

I’m glad that you’re looking into holistic ways of healing your body, as it could provide more tools in the box for managing both conditions better. Everyone needs help when dealing with chronic illnesses so don’t forget that support systems are also key factors in dealing with this journey - whatever form that might take!

Hi there! I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve been going through such a difficult time with hyperthyroidism and anxiety. It sounds like it’s been an incredibly tough journey for you, and I applaud your determination and courage for coming so far despite the challenges.

You’re right, self-care is key to help manage both conditions - but it can be really hard to know where to start. Something I do when my anxiety gets particularly high is take 10 minutes (or more if needed) for some breathing exercises or meditation, followed by a cup of tea or a stroll outside in nature. This helps me ground myself and get back on track. I also make sure that I’m eating healthy meals that give me energy throughout the day, as well as talking to friends in order to stay connected.

It’s normal to feel overwhelmed or tired at times, especially when managing more than one health condition – so don’t be too hard on yourself if things start building up. Learning more about what your body is telling you can make all the difference to your daily routine!

I wish you all the best on your journey of healing - keep strong and take each day as it comes.