Living with extreme hunger anorexia recovery - my story

Living with anorexia has been one of the toughest experiences of my life. For years I have struggled with this struggle and it has really taken a toll on me both mentally and physically.

When I first started recovering from anorexia, I was still in denial about my eating disorder. I was so used to having extreme hunger as a constant companion and wasn’t sure how to cope with not feeling that way all the time. It made me feel scared and anxious.

In order to move forward with recovery, I reached out for help from a professional treatment center. They were able to provide me with guidance, support, education and resources that enabled me to start eating again. With their help, I was able to learn different ways of coping with these feelings without resorting back to my own destructive patterns.

I also found it really helpful attending therapy sessions where we discussed ways in which I could challenge my unhealthy thoughts. Having somebody understand what it’s like living with anorexia was reassuring and talking about it made me realise I wasn’t alone in my struggles.

It hasn’t been easy, but every day is a step closer towards reaching full recovery and better health overall - not just physical health either; the mental benefits have been priceless too! Day by day, step by step, I keep actively striving towards achieving freedom from extreme hunger once again.