Living with early onset ptsd

Trying to live with Early Onset PTSD is something I’m currently struggling with. There are days when I feel completely overwhelmed and exhausted by my emotions; it’s like a never-ending loop of intrusive memories, hypervigilance, and anxiety. I often find myself desperately wanting to make sense of the past and break through these barriers so that I can move forward with my life. But it feels like an impossible task at times.

My depression has been more debilitating than ever before too - many days I struggle just to get out of bed or complete tasks that otherwise wouldn’t seem difficult. The loneliness can be unbearable sometimes and yet being around other people is so overwhelming it leaves me exhausted for days afterwards. It’s a horrible cycle of despair and yet also part of my daily reality now; a frustratingly endless cycle that sometimes feels hopeless without an end in sight.

Therapy is something that has really helped me in this journey, although sometimes the progress is slow or even non-existent for weeks on end. Through these sessions, however, I’m able to gain clarity on some of my triggers and create new ways of coping with them as they arise. Knowing which coping skills help me helps me build more optimism about life and gives me glimpses of hope amidst all this chaos.

Living with Early Onset PTSD can be incredibly difficult but there are moments throughout every day where miracles do happen - where I discover inner strength to fight through or little tidbits that give me faith in humanity again- reminding me that beauty still exists amidst this darkness; a light at the end of the tunnel.

1 Like

Hi there,
I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. Living with Early Onset PTSD is an incredibly difficult situation and I know first-hand how difficult it can be when your own mind turns against you. I applaud you for seeking therapy – it sounds like it’s really helping you try to make sense of all that’s happening and build ways to cope when things feel overwhelming.
You’re right - progress can be slow, but I want to reassure you that those little glimpses of hope along the way are miracles on their own. Every step is one closer towards feeling better, and every single moment is an opportunity to find comfort in yourself. It’s OK if things don’t always go as planned; what matters more, in my experience, is learning how to trust that we have the strength and resilience within us to get through any situation no matter how tough it may seem at first.
I’m sending positive vibes your way and hoping life brings you peace soon!