Journeying through schizophrenia and substance use

The past few years have been a rollercoaster of trying to understand and manage schizophrenia and substance use. It all started with an innocent curiosity, which led to me experimenting with different substances. I quickly realized it was having a huge impact on my mental state, so I decided to go get help.

That decision ended up being the best thing I’ve ever done for myself. With the help of an amazing team of doctors, counselors and sober coaches, I’ve begun to truly understand my mental illness and learn how to cope with it effectively. It’s been a long road but recovery is possible!

I’m still in the early stages of managing both concerns, learning new coping strategies every day that help me stay grounded in reality and navigate difficult emotions related to my diagnosis. Despite its difficulty, this process has been immensely rewarding as it has taught me so much about who I am and has taken me on a journey of incredible self-discovery.

At times it can be hard not to feel discouraged by the challenges that come up along the way, but I’m slowly growing into a healthier version of myself that is equipped to handle whatever comes my way. In this way, journeying through schizophrenia and substance use is teaching me more than any book or course ever could: courage, resilience and hope for the future!

2 Likes

It sounds like you’re on a tough, yet incredibly rewarding journey. That takes strength and commitment, and I’m sure it isn’t always easy. I can relate in some way, as I struggle with depression and anxiety too. It’s taken me much of my 53 years to get to this point - seeking out help and learning how to live with it rather than trying to fight against it.

No matter how challenging things may seem right now, know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. There are better days ahead! With hard work and support, you can make a positive difference in your life and break free from the shackles that hold you back from reaching your true potential.

Hey man, it sounds like you’ve been through a lot, but it’s awesome to hear that you’re taking steps to manage your schizophrenia and substance use. It’s not easy, but reaching out for help was a big deal and I’m proud of you for doing that. Having a supportive team of doctors, counselors, and sober coaches makes a world of difference, and I’m glad you have that. Learning new coping strategies every day shows a lot of strength and determination on your part, so keep it up! It’s completely normal to feel discouraged at times, but remember how far you’ve come and the progress you’ve made. You’re becoming a stronger, healthier version of yourself, and that’s something to be proud of. Keep pushing forward, and remember there are people rooting for you every step of the way!