‘I couldn’t outrun my trauma’: nobody talks about parenting with complex PTSD

I recently read an article in the Guardian about parenting with complex PTSD, and it was really eye-opening. It was written by a woman who had been diagnosed with complex PTSD, and it’s clear that it had a huge impact on her and her family. She talks about how difficult it was to parent while dealing with her symptoms, and how it changed her relationship with her children.

It made me think about how many people must be struggling with the same thing and not talking about it. Complex PTSD can be so debilitating, and it can be hard for sufferers to get the support they need. It’s so important that we talk about this and create a safe space for those affected to talk about their experiences and get the help they need.

It’s also important that we raise awareness of the symptoms of complex PTSD, so that more parents can identify it in themselves and get the help they need. Parenting is hard enough without having to deal with the added burden of complex PTSD, and it’s heartbreaking to think of the many families struggling with this invisible illness.

I’m really glad that this woman shared her story; it’s a powerful reminder of the importance of talking about complex PTSD and the impact it can have on a family.

1 Like

This article is a heartbreaking reminder of the challenges that parents with complex PTSD face. It’s so important to provide support for those affected and to break down the stigma of mental health issues. By raising awareness we can help ensure that more people in similar situations are able to access the services they need.

What also resonated with me were her thoughts about trusting herself and her own instincts, despite being surrounded by people who didn’t understand her experience. It’s hard to maintain self-confidence whilst dealing with a mental illness, and it’s encouraging to be reminded that our experiences are valid and should be heard.

I hope this article will open up a conversation for parents with complex PTSD, so that more people can get the support they need and feel inspired by stories like this woman’s.