Fighting depression my story

My story with depression began in early adulthood. After going through some tough events in my life, I started to feel a wave of sadness and exhaustion come over me. At first, I didn’t know what to make of the feelings but as the weeks went on, none of it changed.

I eventually had to admit that something was wrong and after talking to my doctor soon realized that I was suffering from depression. It was an incredibly difficult time for me as I started to gain clarity on why certain routine tasks seemed impossible some days and why it felt like no matter what, nothing could make me happy.

Rather than stay down though, I decided to fight back against my depression. Learning how basic habits like getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, and exercising regularly can help improve your mental health were key for me. Reaching out for help when needed was also important as talking with counselors and opening up about my feelings helped immensely in dealing with some of the unwelcome thoughts I had about myself during this time.

Admitting that something is wrong and then taking action is never easy but after putting in the work day after day and finding what strategies work best for staying happy & healthy long-term is worth it. I’m not sure if I have ever beaten my depression completely but moving forward with each day trying my best has improved my life vastly over the years since starting this journey - and it’s something I want others to be aware of too.

3 Likes

Hi there,

It sounds like you are struggling with depression and it’s going through some tough times in your early adulthood. I can relate to how difficult this might be, as it is often hard to admit that something might be wrong and then take the steps to make changes.

I want to encourage you that it is possible to fight back against depression and find methods that work for you when feeling overwhelmed. For me, getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly, and seeking help from a professional were impactful in my personal journey. It was also incredibly helpful for me to talk about my feelings with trusted friends or family members - sometimes just hearing someone cares can make all the difference.

Overall, I want you to know that though it takes time and effort, working towards an improved mental health is possible and absolutely worth it in the long run. You are not alone in this - many of us have gone through similar experiences with depression. Wishing you strength on your path forward!

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It takes a lot of courage to admit that something is wrong and to take the necessary steps to work on it. I can relate to how difficult it can be to deal with depression, but I’m glad to hear that you’ve found strategies that work for you and have seen improvements in your life. Taking care of yourself physically and seeking support are such important steps in managing mental health. It’s a continuous process, and I admire your resilience in continuing to work on staying happy and healthy. Your willingness to share your experience and encourage others is truly valuable. Keep on going, and know that you’re not alone in this journey.

Hey, I can totally relate to what you’re going through. It’s really tough to realize that something’s not right and then actually take the steps to deal with it. I went through a similar experience and had to learn how to take care of myself in a whole new way. Eating well, getting enough sleep, and being active made a big difference for me too. And reaching out for help was key. Talking to someone and being open about how I was feeling really helped me work through some of the negative thoughts I was having. It’s not a quick or easy fix, but putting in the effort every day has made a huge difference in my life. It’s definitely worth it to keep at it and find what works for you. Hang in there, you’re not alone in this struggle.