Discovering pica in my mental health journey

As I’ve been working to better understand my mental health and well-being, one thing that has recently come up is pica. For those who don’t know, pica is a condition that involves the consumption of non-food items; this can range from paper and soil, to paint and chalk.

At first I was a bit embarrassed about it since it’s not a common subject of conversation. When I did some more research into it though, I found out how preexisting conditions like anemia or iron deficiencies can cause an individual to develop cravings for non-food items. Although this doesn’t seem to be the case for me, learning about this made me feel less alone in my struggle.

I was relieved to discover there are therapeutic techniques one can use to help address the issues underlying pica cravings. Working with a counselor has become an important part of my mental health journey as they are able to provide a safe place to explore these cravings and their causes further. I’m grateful for the support I have received along the way and am looking forward to continuing on my path of self discovery.

13 Likes

Hey there,

I understand how hard it can be when it comes to facing something like this on your own, and so I’m here to support you however I can. As a 33-year-old man, I know how challenging it can be to tackle mental health issues. Especially given the social stigma around mental health that is unfortunately so pervasive today. It sounds like you’re doing the necessary work in finding out more about pica and exploring its underlying causes. It’s admirable that you are making the effort to understand yourself better and find the right coping strategies for you.

It’s great that you’ve been able to connect with a counselor who can guide and support you through this difficult time. Continue to learn more about yourself and don’t shy away from talking about it with people you trust - talking about these issues can really help open up healing possibilities! I hope this helps give you a bit of reassurance as well as courage to continue on your path of self discovery.

Hey, I completely understand what you’re going through with pica. It’s great that you’ve been doing your research and seeking help. I’ve struggled with similar issues, and it really does make you feel less alone to know that there are others who understand. Working with a counselor has been a game-changer for me, too. It’s like having a safe space to unravel everything and figure out the roots of these cravings. Keep at it, and remember that you’re not alone in this. We’re all here to support each other in our unique struggles. Take care!

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience with pica. It takes courage to open up about something like this, so I really admire your bravery. It’s totally understandable to feel embarrassed at first, but it’s great that you found some comfort in understanding the potential causes of pica. It’s also awesome that you’re seeking help from a counselor - that can be a game-changer. I’ve seen firsthand how therapy can really make a difference in managing cravings and getting to the root of the issue. Keep up the good work, and remember that you’re definitely not alone in this. We’re all rooting for you!

Hey, I just wanted to say that you are so brave for sharing your experience with pica. It can definitely be tough to open up about something like this, but it’s so important to remember that you are not alone in this. It’s awesome that you’ve been doing your research and finding out more about the underlying causes of pica. Working with a counselor is such a positive step, and I’m really glad to hear that you’ve found support. Remember to be kind to yourself throughout this process - it’s not always an easy road, but you’re taking all the right steps. Keep pushing forward and reaching out for help when you need it. You’re doing great!

Hey, I totally get where you’re coming from. It’s not easy to open up about something like pica, but I’m really glad you did. It’s true, there are lots of underlying causes for pica, and it’s great that you’re exploring that with a counselor. I’ve found therapy to be super helpful in understanding my own struggles too. It’s awesome that you’re feeling less alone in this, and I’m so proud of you for seeking the support you need. Keep at it, you’re doing amazing!

I can totally relate to your experience with pica. It’s definitely not something that’s commonly talked about, and I know it can make you feel isolated or embarrassed. It’s awesome that you’ve been doing your own research and taking steps to address it, though. It’s definitely a relief to know that there are techniques and support out there to help with the underlying issues. I’ve found that working with a counselor has been a game-changer for me, too. It’s so nice to have a safe space to explore these cravings and figure out what might be causing them. Keep taking those positive steps, and know that you’re not alone in this journey. Just take it one day at a time and keep seeking out the support and resources that work for you.

It’s great to hear that you’re taking steps to understand and address pica. I can imagine it must have been a bit overwhelming at first, but it’s awesome that you’re finding ways to cope with it. I know it can feel isolating to deal with something like this, but knowing that there are others out there going through similar experiences can be really comforting. It’s also really encouraging to hear that you’ve found some therapeutic techniques that are helpful for you. It’s a big step to reach out for professional support, and I’m glad to hear that working with a counselor has been beneficial. Keep leaning on that support system, and don’t hesitate to reach out if you need it. You’re doing great, and it’s really inspiring to see you taking charge of your mental health. Sending you all the positive vibes as you continue to navigate this!

Hey, I totally get where you’re coming from. It can be tough dealing with something like pica, especially when it’s not something that’s commonly talked about. It’s awesome that you did some research and found out more about it, and that it helped you feel less alone. And it’s great that you’re working with a counselor to address the underlying issues - having that support is crucial. I’ve found therapy to be really helpful in my own mental health journey, so I’m glad you’re getting that too. Keep up the good work, and know that you’re not alone in this!

Hey, I’m 40 and I can totally relate to what you’re going through. It takes a lot of courage to open up about something like pica, and I’m really glad you found some comfort in learning about it and understanding that you’re not alone. It’s great to hear that you’ve found ways to address the underlying issues and that working with a counselor has been helpful for you. It’s so important to have that support as we navigate our mental health. Keep at it, and remember that progress takes time. You’re doing awesome!

Hey, I can totally relate to what you’re going through. It’s tough when you come across something like pica and feel like you’re the only one dealing with it. I’m glad you did some research and found out that there are other factors that can contribute to it, and it’s not just a random thing. It’s awesome that you’ve found therapeutic techniques to help address it, and that you’re working with a counselor. I’ve found therapy to be really helpful too. It’s great to have a safe space to talk about these things and figure out what’s really going on. Keep up the good work and don’t be afraid to reach out for support when you need it. You’re definitely not alone in this.

Thank you for sharing your experience with pica. It takes a lot of courage to open up about something as personal as this. It’s great that you’ve been able to do some research and find out more about the condition. It’s also really positive that you’ve found ways to address the underlying causes and have support from a counselor. Just know that you’re not alone in this and there are others out there dealing with similar challenges. Keep reaching out for help and taking care of yourself. You’re doing an amazing job!

Hey, I totally get what you’re going through. It takes a lot of courage to open up about something like pica, so kudos to you for taking that first step. It’s really common for people to feel embarrassed or isolated when dealing with mental health issues, but knowing that there are others out there who understand can make a huge difference. I’m so glad to hear that you’ve found some therapeutic techniques to help address the root causes of your cravings, and that you’ve got a good counselor to support you. It’s all about finding what works for you and taking small steps towards feeling better. Keep going, you’re doing great!

Hey, I feel you on this. I’ve struggled with pica too and it’s definitely not something that’s easy to talk about. But you’re right, finding out about the connection to anemia and iron deficiencies made me feel less alone too. It’s great that you’re working with a counselor to explore the underlying causes of these cravings. I’ve found therapy to be super helpful in my own journey. Keep pushing forward and know that you’re not alone in this!