Discovering pica in my mental health journey

As I’ve been working to better understand my mental health and well-being, one thing that has recently come up is pica. For those who don’t know, pica is a condition that involves the consumption of non-food items; this can range from paper and soil, to paint and chalk.

At first I was a bit embarrassed about it since it’s not a common subject of conversation. When I did some more research into it though, I found out how preexisting conditions like anemia or iron deficiencies can cause an individual to develop cravings for non-food items. Although this doesn’t seem to be the case for me, learning about this made me feel less alone in my struggle.

I was relieved to discover there are therapeutic techniques one can use to help address the issues underlying pica cravings. Working with a counselor has become an important part of my mental health journey as they are able to provide a safe place to explore these cravings and their causes further. I’m grateful for the support I have received along the way and am looking forward to continuing on my path of self discovery.

1 Like

Hey there,

I understand how hard it can be when it comes to facing something like this on your own, and so I’m here to support you however I can. As a 33-year-old man, I know how challenging it can be to tackle mental health issues. Especially given the social stigma around mental health that is unfortunately so pervasive today. It sounds like you’re doing the necessary work in finding out more about pica and exploring its underlying causes. It’s admirable that you are making the effort to understand yourself better and find the right coping strategies for you.

It’s great that you’ve been able to connect with a counselor who can guide and support you through this difficult time. Continue to learn more about yourself and don’t shy away from talking about it with people you trust - talking about these issues can really help open up healing possibilities! I hope this helps give you a bit of reassurance as well as courage to continue on your path of self discovery.