Dealing with traumatic trauma - my story

I never thought I would be dealing with traumatic trauma, but here I am. Experiencing a traumatic event can feel like the world around you has been turned upside down. It can be overwhelming and extremely complex to process.

It is hard to put into words what it feels like to experience something traumatic, but it eventually takes on various forms such as nightmares, flashbacks, anxiety, increased arousal and difficulty sleeping. It takes courage to recognize that these reactions may not pass quickly enough and it is time to seek help.

Talking to a trusted therapist about my experiences helped me process this trauma in a safe environment. Therapy sessions were important for me because they gave me the space to express my thoughts and feelings in an understanding and non-judgmental way. I was also given mindful techniques to cope with symptoms when they arise in my day-to-day life. Despite how difficult of a journey this had been, I am slowly learning how to manage my own individual levels of stressors better now.

My advice for those who are facing or have faced traumatic events is to reach out for help when needed — talk to someone, take support from loved ones or seek professional help if available. Even though reacting to trauma looks different for everyone; no one should struggle alone trying to make sense of it all by themselves.