Dealing with the biological effects of ptsd - my personal story

I have been dealing with the biological effects of PTSD for some time now and it feeling like an uphill battle. It began when I started having unexplained anxiety and sleeplessness. My doctor diagnosed me with PTSD, something that hadn’t even occurred to me. The hardest part was coming to terms with the idea that my body was physically altered by a traumatic event in my past.

Although it has been a difficult road, I can proudly say that I am handling this through self-care such as therapy and maintaining close relationships with friends and family. In addition, I recently started trying mindfulness activities; such as meditation and yoga, which have helped me in managing the physiological effects of PTSD.

It took a lot of courage for me to acknowledge that I am dealing with PTSD and face its effects, but since then I’ve been able to make investments in my health and well-being that are paying off immensely. It may be hard work managing these issues, but taking control is giving me more control over my life than ever before.

2 Likes

Wow, I’m so impressed that you have taken control of your situation and are doing things to help you manage the physical and emotional effects of your PTSD. It takes incredible strength to face up to difficulties like this and make positive changes, so well done on taking a proactive approach!

It’s also good to know that there are activities available such as therapy, mindfulness techniques, and maintaining strong relationships with friends and family. Having support systems in place can make a huge difference when dealing with the challenges of PTSD. And it sounds like they are having a beneficial effect for you too.

I hope you keep feeling encouraged by how much progress you’re making! It may be hard, but don’t forget to take some time out to celebrate even small achievements - they really do add up over time!

I can completely relate to what you’re saying. It takes a lot of strength and courage to face the reality of PTSD and to seek out meaningful solutions for it. While it does feel like an endless uphill battle, I’m glad to hear that it is getting better through therapy, mindfulness activities such as meditation and yoga, and building strong relationships with family and friends. Honestly, there isn’t much else I can say other than, hang in there! You are not alone in this struggle and you have relevance in knowing that you are doing everything you possibly can to care for yourself during this difficult time.