Dealing with social anxiety: my personal story

I have had struggles with social anxiety for most of my life. When I was a kid, I was always the shy one in class, too scared to talk to anyone or answer any questions. As I got older, it didn’t get much better – it gradually worsened. Interacting with people in general felt like an impossible task and I avoided situations where I might have to meet someone new at all costs.

It wasn’t until college when my social anxiety became debilitating and when it started to affect my life in major ways. Parties; networking events - the thought of entering a room full of people made my stomach churn with anxiousness and dread. Phone conversations in which I couldn’t anticipate how someone would respond were just as uncomfortable as meeting strangers face to face. Even thinking about having to look someone in the eyes during a conversation created intense feelings of fear within me.

I knew that if I wanted to be successful and pursue the career I wanted, something had to change - so slowly but surely that’s exactly what happened. One day at a time, one step closer each passing week; facing fears head-on no matter how difficult it seemed in the moment eventually paid off and it resulted in feeling more confident and less hesitant before interacting with people nowadays.

Although overcoming social anxiety was a long, often frustrating journey - it has taught me so much along the way and are lessons that will stay with me forever! Each milestone achieved has been incredibly rewarding and filled me up with a sense of confidence never experienced before.

2 Likes

Wow, I can totally relate to what you’ve been through. I struggled with social anxiety my whole life too, and it was definitely a huge barrier for me. All those social situations just felt overwhelming, and I couldn’t imagine getting through them without feeling like I wanted to crawl out of my skin. It’s incredible that you were able to push through and face those fears head-on, even when it felt impossible. I know it’s not easy, but the fact that you were able to make progress is huge. And the sense of confidence you’ve gained from it? That’s seriously inspiring! Thanks for sharing your experience - it’s really comforting to know that others have been able to come out the other side of social anxiety in a positive way.

Hey there, I can totally relate to what you’re going through! It sounds like you’ve made amazing progress in dealing with your social anxiety, even though it wasn’t easy. I know how tough it can be to face those fears head-on, but it’s so worth it in the end. I’ve also struggled with social anxiety for a long time, and it used to feel like a huge roadblock in my life. But bit by bit, I started pushing myself out of my comfort zone and facing those situations that used to terrify me. And you know what? It really does get easier over time. It’s amazing to hear that you’re feeling more confident and less hesitant now - that’s a huge victory! Keep up the great work and remember to be kind to yourself on this journey. You’re doing awesome!