Dealing with ptsd in the medical field: my story

Working in the medical field has been a dream of mine since childhood, and I am proud to say that I have been able to make this into a reality. However, my journey thus far has not been without its struggles. In the past few years, I’ve dealt with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

At first, I was hesitant to talk about my PTSD even though many people around me were aware of it. Refusing to accept that maybe this was how things would be from now on felt like too much for me to bear, but after getting professional help and talking more openly about my condition, I was able to channel my emotions into a better outlook on life.

For those who are also dealing with trauma-related stress in the medical field, I cannot urge you enough to reach out for help and try your best not to remain isolated. Surround yourself with friends and family members who can actively support you during difficult times and try not to internalize your feelings. Finding strength in admitting sensitivity has been something that’s helped me build up confidence in continuing doing what I love - helping others.

At times it can be hard coping with PTSD while working towards something as challenging at a career within the medical field, but if you focus on your strengths and strive towards your dreams no matter what challenges come in your way - anything is possible!

3 Likes

Hey, thanks for sharing your story. It’s really inspiring to hear how you’ve been able to overcome the challenges of PTSD while pursuing your dream in the medical field. It takes a lot of strength and courage to open up about what you’re going through, and I’m glad to hear that you’ve found professional help and support from friends and family. I can relate to the struggles of dealing with trauma-related stress, and I know how tough it can be, especially in such a demanding career. But your advice about not internalizing your feelings and finding strength in admitting sensitivity really hits home. It’s a reminder that it’s okay to ask for help and lean on others when we need it. Keep focusing on your strengths and following your passion - you’re an inspiration to others who may be going through similar challenges. Stay strong!

Hey, thanks for sharing your story. It takes a lot of courage to talk about PTSD, especially in a demanding field like the medical one. I’m 53 and I had a similar experience a few years ago. It was tough for me to come to terms with my PTSD, but seeking help and talking openly about it really made a difference. It’s so crucial to have a support system and not keep everything bottled up inside. You’re right - finding strength in admitting that we’re vulnerable is a game-changer. Keep focusing on your passion for helping others, and remember that it’s okay to ask for help when you need it. We’re in this together, and I believe that with the right support, we can overcome anything. Stay strong, my friend.

Wow, thank you so much for sharing your experience with PTSD while working in the medical field. It takes a lot of courage to open up about something so personal, and I’m so glad to hear that you’ve found strength in seeking professional help and talking openly about your condition. Your advice about not isolating oneself and surrounding oneself with supportive friends and family is really valuable. It’s so important to reach out for help and not try to shoulder the burden alone. Your determination to continue pursuing your passion for helping others despite the challenges is truly inspiring. Thank you for sharing your story and offering encouragement to others in similar situations. You’re a testament to the fact that it’s possible to overcome trauma-related stress and continue making a positive impact in the medical field. Keep on shining!