Dealing with post traumatic stress disorder: my story

It’s been several years since I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). As someone who had faced a traumatic event, I was dealing with intense memories and emotions that had been consuming my life. After much consideration, I chose to seek therapy.

Getting professional help has allowed me to better understand how to manage my stress and control my reactions. Learning coping strategies has made it easier for me to handle triggers that may remind me of the traumatic event and make it less likely for me to have a full-blown reaction. The process of talking through the ordeal also allows me to make sense of what happened in a safe environment and work through powerful emotions in an emotionally healthy fashion. One of the biggest benefits is having a judgement-free place where I can express myself without fear or shame.

I am so grateful for the progress I have been able to make over time. It hasn’t always been easy but it has helped tremendously in moving forward with my life after trauma.

2 Likes

Hi there,

I’m so glad to hear that you’ve had a positive experience with therapy! Starting out on the road to healing after a traumatic event is never easy, but it can be extremely rewarding. It sounds like you have come a long way in managing your PTSD and finding different ways to cope that work well for you. From my own personal experience in navigating my life post-trauma, I know how much of a difference having the right support network and taking control of your healing journey makes in the recovery process.

It’s also great that you have found a safe space to talk through your ordeal and express yourself without fear of judgement or shame, as I know how important this can be in helping us process our experiences. Keep up the hard work, as it will all be worth it eventually!

Hi there,
I’m so glad to hear that you are working through your trauma through therapy and finding ways to cope with the associated emotions and triggers. It can be incredibly tough to deal with a traumatic event, but it’s impressive that you have stuck with it and kept going despite how hard it can be. I understand that seeking help is something that takes an immense amount of strength and courage - so props to you for doing so!

It is my belief that talking about past events in a judgement-free place can often be extremely therapeutic, allowing us to gain insight into our own experiences and feelings. Having strategies in place to manage stress and knowing when/what kind of triggers might set off a reaction can also be invaluable in protecting our emotional wellbeing.

If therapy doesn’t feel like the best option anymore, know that you don’t have to stick with it if you don’t want to. Thankfully, there are many other potential resources available - from books on trauma or coping written by fellow survivors, discussing difficult experiences with family members or close friends, etc.

Take your time and do whatever makes the most sense in terms of your mental health journey - you’ve already been through a lot and recovery is not a race but more importantly