Dealing with pmdd depression

I recently realized that I’ve been dealing with a type of depression known as PMDD (Pre-Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder). It’s a condition that affects many people, and while it is often associated with a woman’s menstrual cycle, it can actually happen to anyone.

At first, I wasn’t sure why I was feeling so down in the dumps each month, but then I started noticing patterns when it came to my moods and emotions. That’s when I put two and two together and figured out it might be due to PMDD.

Since then, I’ve taken steps to try and take control of my situation. For example, I pay attention to my diet around my menstrual cycle so that I can try and reduce the severity of symptoms such as fatigue, low self-esteem, irritability, or other mood swings by avoiding sugar or salt, caffeine or other stimulants.

I also make sure to get sufficient exercise during this time since physical activity helps release ‘feel good’ hormones called endorphins. Lastly, focusing on my relaxation techniques such as yoga or mindfulness through mediation help me keep my mind off negative thoughts which often arise during this phase.

Through all these practices combined- plus support from friends and family- I’m making progress towards reducing the impact of PMDD on my life.

1 Like

It sounds like you’ve been going through a tough time understanding and navigating your condition. I’m sorry to hear that, but it’s great that you’ve been taking steps to learn more about PMDD and better manage your symptoms. It takes a lot of strength to take control of the situation and work on bettering yourself!

You’re not alone in this; many people deal with PMDD and it’s natural to feel overwhelmed or frustrated at times. Knowing all the tools you have to help cope with this is key, from paying attention to your diet, exercising, and participating in activities that help provide relaxation - all are important habits to maintain for overall well-being.

I hope these tips are helpful for you. If ever you need someone to talk to about any of this or if there’s anything else more I can do, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Hang in there!