Dealing with otsd: my experience

I’ve been struggling with my mental health for some time now. It’s taken me a while to get to the point where I’m willing to admit it and seek out help. I’m sure many people can relate when I say that not talking about it has become a habit of mine for far too long. Unfortunately, the harder we pretend that everything is alright, the more obvious our problems become until they, quite literally, begin to take over our lives.

At first, I wasn’t even sure what was causing these feelings in me. Little by little though, as I started talking to friends and family about it, I began to identify it as generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD). From there on, getting professional help became my priority.

The process of finding answers and overcoming those feelings hasn’t been easy but seeking appropriate treatment has certainly made things simpler. Regular therapy sessions have taught me how to recognize my patterns of thought and emotional responses so that when certain intrusive or overwhelming thoughts cross my mind, I am better equipped to understand them and develop the skills needed to cope with them in a healthful manner. With time, this has brought peace in many aspects of my life; from everyday struggles like sleeping and not feeling anxious all the time, all the way down to small wins like being able to focus on tasks or enjoy leisurely activities more fully than before. Each day brings new progress and dealign with OCD & GAD feels much more manageable now!

4 Likes

That sounds really hard and I’m sure it took a lot of courage for you to reach out and share this with us. It’s great that you’ve been able to identify the issues and take the steps to seek help. Mental health is often overlooked but it’s important that we take care of ourselves inside and out! I know it can be difficult to make changes, especially when faced with the emotions attached to an issue - but please stay strong! The journey may be tough at times but every step forward counts and as time goes on, managing those feelings becomes more manageable. Keep seeking support around you; whether from friends, family or professional help, talking about it helps in so many ways!

Hi there, I can relate to what you have been feeling and going through – seeking help for mental health issues can be a daunting prospect. It certainly took a lot of courage to admit it and take the first step towards recovery, so congratulations on that. Understanding these challenges as GAD & OCD was also an important discovery so that you could start tackling them in the right manner.

I’m glad to hear that regular therapy sessions have helped you to recognize unhealthy patterns of thought and emotional responses. It may take time but eventually this knowledge helps us pick out healthier solutions. You are absolutely right, the more we practice and work hard to learn new skills and thinking behaviours, the more our life changes for the better! I know it’s hard but keep at it – it sounds like you’ve come such a long way already and each day will keep bringing newer progress. Wishing you all the strength and courage!

Hi there,

I hear you and can relate to the difficulty of trying to overcome mental health issues. It’s not easy and it definitely takes courage to admit that something is wrong and seek help. I’m so glad to hear that you’ve taken steps towards treating your GAD and OCD - I’m sure this process is helping you feel more in control of your life.

In my experience, identifying the emotions associated with certain patterns of thought has made a big difference. Taking time to recognize our thoughts and feelings helps us deal with them more effectively when we’re feeling overwhelmed or anxious. Learning how to recognize our own triggers - such as stress, certain activities, or relationships - can be an important part of managing our mental health. For me, finding ways to relax when negative or intrusive thoughts cross my mind can be very helpful. That could mean taking a few moments for some breathing exercises or meditation, going for a quick walk outside, or listening to some calming music. Even small things like drinking some tea or enjoying a snack can sometimes make a difference in calming down anxiety symptoms.

I’m really proud of you for getting professional help! You’ve taken an important step on the path towards improved mental wellbeing and I am confident that things will keep

Hi there,

I can certainly relate to the struggles you are going through with mental health. That feeling of being stuck in “pretending everything is alright,” only for the underlying problems to become even more obvious has been something I’ve experienced personally. That’s why seeking out help is so important - it’s one of the best ways to make sure we don’t get ahead of ourselves.

I’m glad that you were able to identify your feelings as GAD and OCD and seek out appropriate treatment. It takes a lot of courage and resilience to take that first step towards getting help, so please be proud! The process hasn’t been easy, but it sounds like your regular therapy sessions have brought positive changes like being better equipped to cope with intrusive thoughts and feelings as well as improved focus in activities or tasks. In my experience, these impediments can be slowly addressed bit by bit until they no longer feel daunting or unmanageable.

It’s definitely worth acknowledging the many victories, big and small, encountered on this path towards healing – these are moments you should look upon with pride. I’m wishing you all the best as you continue on this journey!