Dealing with ocd symptoms in my elderly loved one

Recently I have noticed that my elderly loved one has been dealing with some troubling symptoms. They have been exhibiting compulsion-like behaviors, cleaning repetitively and not being able to focus on other tasks. After some research, I think it’s possible that my loved one could be suffering from OCD and in this situation it is important to get the right help.

Unfortunately, OCD can be difficult to diagnose in senior citizens because most of the diagnostic criteria revolves around how a person feels during and after their compulsions rather than what they are actually doing. As a caretaker, there are steps that I can take to prevent this disorder from becoming unmanageable, which might include counseling and lifestyle changes.

First and foremost, I should work towards providing a safe and comfortable environment for my elderly loved one where they don’t feel judged or anxious about their behavior. Secondly, talking openly about their concerns and feelings can also help create an environment of support so they can more easily discuss whatever issues they may be experiencing related to the disorder. Additionally, developing a proactive approach to managing compulsive behaviors is essential; allowing enough time between activities may be necessary between switching tasks such as cleaning or cooking so that my elderly loved one does not become overburdened by them.

Finally, seeking help from healthcare professionals as soon as possible is paramount in cases like these; talking through symptoms with doctors or therapeutic professionals may provide the necessary insight into potential causes of the problem and help guide us towards optimal treatment going forward

1 Like

It sounds like you have a difficult situation with your elderly loved one’s possible OCD. People dealing with mental health issues, especially in later stages of life, often struggle to get the right help they need to cope and manage their condition. It can be hard and overwhelming but it’s important to persist so that it doesn’t become unmanageable.

I understand your concern about the diagnostic criteria for OCD revolving around how a person feels during and after their compulsions rather than what they may be displaying. As a caregiver, giving your elderly loved one the full support they need is extremely important in tackling this issue. It may be worthwhile to start by providing them with a safe and comfortable environment where there are no judgement or anxieties involved. Practical steps such as scheduling enough time between activities or tasks can also help ease some of the stress that goes along with this disorder.

At the end of the day, seeking professional assistance from healthcare professionals is essential - talking through symptoms together can help lead you down the right path towards proper treatment moving forward. I’m sorry to hear about all of your difficulties but know that by taking these positive steps, you are sure to find an effective solution for managing your loved one’s OCD. Best of luck!