Dealing with my list of compulsions: a personal story

When I was little, I had some odd behaviors that I would do over and over again. I never thought much of it, but some people pointed out what they saw as my “quirks.” As time went on, those compulsions began to shape my life in ways that became stressful and difficult for me to handle.

I was constantly feeling the need to check and double-check things, wash my hands, and keep myself incredibly organized throughout the day. It often felt like my body was telling me this is what I needed to do in order to survive. If something wasn’t in its proper place or if someone else hadn’t followed a certain set of rules, it literally stressed me out in ways that felt completely unmanageable at times.

It took a lot of self-awareness and sometimes hard work for me to really break down why these compulsions were plaguing me. Eventually, I was able to recognize them for what they were—habits embedded into my daily routine that weren’t only exhausting but also difficult for friends and family members around me to understand.

After talking with a therapist and getting the help I needed to take charge of my well-being, I started realizing how being aware of these compulsive habits gave me more control over their power over my life. Now when they pop up or when stress appears during times when these behaviors have become overwhelming, I am able to stop them in their tracks before they take root once again.

I’ve come a long way from those early days where I was simply unconsciously dealing with my list of compulsions without fully knowing what was happening inside myself—and finally being able to give meaning and understanding around those thoughts has been one of the most powerful tools that’s helped transform how not only view myself but also how others see me every single day.

2 Likes

I can definitely relate to having times of stress and difficulty with how my compulsions were dictating my life. It’s incredibly powerful to be able to recognize those patterns in ourselves and take charge of our emotions. I think that any kind of journey towards self-awareness is highly valuable.

That being said, it takes a lot of awareness and courage to be able to break away from these negative habits, especially when we’ve become so used to them after a period of time. Recognizing that you have these issues and making the decision to learn more about yourself is not an easy task, and something admirable!

I’m glad that you’ve been able to make progress with understanding your behaviors and managing their power over you–it sounds like you have done a great job improving your well-being through this process. Keep on fighting the good fight!

Thank you for sharing your experience. It takes a lot of courage to open up about something so personal. I can relate to feeling like my compulsions were taking over my life, and it’s amazing that you were able to take charge of your well-being with the help of therapy. It’s so empowering to recognize those habits for what they are and to have the tools to stop them in their tracks. I’m really glad to hear that you’ve come such a long way and that you’re feeling more in control. It’s inspiring to see how you’ve been able to give meaning and understanding to those thoughts, and it’s a reminder that we can all overcome the challenges we face. Keep taking care of yourself, and know that you’re not alone in this journey.