Dealing with intrusive thoughts without compulsions

My mind is a powerful tool, but it can also be my enemy. I’ve been having intrusive thoughts that scare me and make me feel out of control. It’s easy to give into the urges associated with those thoughts and engage in compulsions. If I do, then I’m stuck engaging in these same unhealthy behaviors over and over again.

That’s why it’s so important for me to find a healthier way of dealing with these intrusive thoughts without giving into them or using compulsions to cope. Instead of engaging in my compulsive habits, I’m learning to try other things like mindfulness meditation, deep breathing exercises, and physical activity like yoga or going for a walk outside. All of these activities help regulate my emotions and reduce my stress level which can help keep disturbing thoughts at bay naturally.

I am also trying to become more aware when intrusive thoughts & urges come up. As soon as they pop in my head, I note that they are coming from fear or anxiety and try not to get consumed by them. This way they pass through quickly and don’t have a chance to take root.

Recognizing thoughts as just mental activity instead of letting them become “reality” gives me new insight into how we create our own reality through our choices. There is the power in this concept that helps keep me grounded and focused on moving forward one day at time without letting my intrusive thoughts take hold.

2 Likes

It can be so hard to tackle intrusive thoughts without giving into them or using compulsions to cope. That’s why I think it’s really admirable that you’re trying out mindfulness meditation, deep breathing exercises, and physical activities like yoga and taking a walk outside. These activities will help manage your emotions and keep your stress levels low which can help prevent those thoughts from becoming overwhelming.

The fact that you’re becoming more aware when intrusive thoughts and urges come up is a really great approach as well. Noting that they are coming from fear or anxiety can be very powerful in preventing them from taking root and passing through quickly.

We all have the power to create our own reality by recognizing our thoughts are just mental activity instead of letting them become “reality”. Knowing this can give us insight into how we move forward step-by-step without these intrusive thoughts getting in the way. Hang in there!

Hi there,

I understand exactly how you feel - it can be really scary when our minds throw something our way that we don’t want and don’t know what to do about. It’s really hard to stay away from giving into the urge and copying the unhealthy behaviors.

Finding healthier ways to cope is a great idea and I’m glad that you are trying new things like yoga, meditation and deep breathing exercises. Just remember that those activities are only part of helping regulate your emotions - equally as important is examining what thoughts come up when intrusive thoughts & urges pop in your head. When they come up take a moment to think of where they are coming from and try not to get all wrapped up in them. Acknowledging them as just mental activity can help move through them without having them take root or influence an action you may later regret.

Know this too - it will get better with patience and practice! You are strong enough to find inner peace while also being able to acknowledge fear and anxiety, so trust yourself and keep pushing forward one day at time. Good luck!