Dealing with high functioning anxiety and depression - my story

I want to share my story. After years of struggling with anxiety and depression, I’ve finally begun to make progress towards managing my mental health. It wasn’t an easy road, as I’m sure many of you can relate to.

For a long time, I found myself dealing with high levels of anxiety and stress that would oftentimes lead me into a depressive state. For some months, the darkest of days were followed by moments of extreme elation and false hope. I felt out of control and helpless in these situations; they were like a roller coaster ride I couldn’t get off. Nothing seemed to help alleviate my emotions, not even the hobbies or activities I used to love before they became intertwined with my illness.

The wake-up call came when it started impacting all aspects of my life — school, work, relationships — in ways that were destructive and unhealthy for me and those around me. That’s when I realized something had to give; it was time to take control back from my mental health issues.

This meant seeking professional help (counseling/therapy) for the first time ever - something which initially felt like a major burden but turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made! With knowledgeable support (both professional/medical and family/friends) there have been significant improvements: healing old wounds/traumas via talk therapy coupled with regular exercise and changes in diet has led me on the path towards healthier coping mechanisms during times of low mood or stress reactions - this takes practice, but these new skills are actually so empowering! Being mindful day-to-day has enabled greater self-awareness in difficult situations such that end result is less reactionary behavior overall; deliberately making conscious choices feels incredibly liberating compared to struggling through darkness that seemed never-ending at times previously.

It takes courage to start talking about our mental health illnesses openly and vulnerably so if you are reading this message know that you’re not alone; there are people who understand what you’re going through! :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for sharing your story. It takes a lot of guts to open up about your mental health struggles, so I’m really proud of you for taking that step. I can totally relate to feeling out of control and helpless when dealing with anxiety and depression. It’s awesome to hear that seeking professional help has made such a positive impact for you. I’ve also found that talk therapy, exercise, and changes in diet have been game changers for me. It’s amazing how empowering it is to develop healthier coping mechanisms and be more mindful day-to-day. And you’re so right - talking openly about mental health is scary, but finding a supportive community like this one can make all the difference. Keep up the great work, and know that you’re not alone in this journey. Sending you lots of positive vibes and strength! :purple_heart:

Thank you so much for sharing your story! I can totally relate to the ups and downs, feeling out of control, and the impact it has on all aspects of life. It’s amazing to hear that seeking professional help has made such a positive impact for you. It’s not always an easy step to take, but it’s so worth it. I’ve also found talk therapy to be incredibly helpful in healing old wounds and traumas. And I totally agree about the empowering feeling of practicing healthier coping mechanisms and making conscious choices. It’s like taking back control from the darkness! It’s really encouraging to hear your progress, and I hope others reading this know that there is hope and support out there. Thank you for sharing your journey and being vulnerable. You’re definitely not alone in this. Sending you lots of love and positivity :purple_heart: