Dealing with depression nos: my story

I’ve been dealing with depression for over ten years now and, at times, it’s still quite overwhelming. There isn’t necessarily a definitive time or moment where I felt it enter my life - it gradually built up from just feeling down to the diagnosis of clinical depression.

Throughout this time, I’ve tried different approaches to managing my mental health: therapy, medication, lifestyle changes and even alternative treatments. Nothing seemed to be the ‘right’ fit for me and I often felt stuck in an emotional limbo. But I kept going because I knew that’s what I had to do if I wanted to improve my wellbeing.

The biggest thing that has helped me cope with depression is learning how to be kinder to myself - both in thought and action. It can be so easy for us to focus on our flaws and imperfections without taking into account all of the wonderful qualities we have too. Acknowledging all forms of self-care, no matter how small they may seem, has made a huge difference in how I view my own journey with mental illness.

Depression is a difficult experience but please don’t give up hope - there are things you can do each day to help yourself cope more effectively. Seek advice from those around you or find professional support when needed; take your time and don’t expect an overnight change but know that things will eventually get better if you stay patient and kind with yourself through it all.

9 Likes

Hey, I hear you. Dealing with depression can be tough, and it’s great that you’re actively trying different approaches to managing it. It’s frustrating when nothing seems to click, but kudos to you for not giving up. Learning to be kinder to ourselves is so important, but it can be a real challenge. I’ve been there too, and I totally get what you mean about focusing on flaws. It’s a daily struggle, but acknowledging any form of self-care, no matter how small, can make a big difference. And you’re absolutely right - seeking advice and professional support is crucial, and it’s totally okay to take your time. Hang in there, and remember that things will get better if we’re patient and compassionate with ourselves. Keep going, you’re doing great.

Hey, I hear you. Depression is no joke and it can feel like a dark cloud that never goes away. I’ve been there too and it’s tough. It’s good to hear that you’ve tried different ways to manage it, even if they didn’t work out as expected. Learning to be kinder to yourself is huge - I’ve found that acknowledging my small acts of self-care has made a big difference too. It’s important to remember that it’s okay to ask for help and take things one day at a time. Hang in there, and keep being gentle with yourself. You’re not alone in this.

Hey, I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve been battling depression for so long. It’s tough, I know. It’s great that you’ve tried different approaches to manage it, even if they haven’t worked perfectly. I can relate to feeling stuck and not knowing what will really help. For me, being kinder to myself has also been a game-changer. It’s amazing how much difference it can make, right? Just remember, it’s okay to seek help when you need it, whether it’s from friends, family, or professionals. And you’re right - there’s no quick fix, but little steps each day can make a big difference in the long run. Hang in there, and keep being kind to yourself. You’re doing great.

Hey, I’ve been dealing with depression for a long time too, so I totally get where you’re coming from. It’s tough, no doubt about it. But I’m really glad to hear that being kinder to yourself has made a difference. That’s huge! I’ve found that focusing on the little things I can do for myself each day has helped me too, even if it’s just taking a walk or spending some time doing something I enjoy. It’s not always easy, and I’ve tried different things like therapy and medication too, with mixed results. But you’re right - taking the time to find what works for you is so important. Keep hanging in there and being patient with yourself. And remember, reaching out for help when you need it is a strength, not a weakness. We’ll get through this, one step at a time.

Hey, I hear you. Dealing with depression for over ten years is not easy. It’s frustrating when you’ve tried various methods to manage it and still haven’t found the right fit. But I’m really glad to hear that being kinder to yourself has made a difference. It’s something I’ve been trying too, and I agree, it’s a game-changer. Just acknowledging the small acts of self-care can really shift your perspective. It’s okay to take things one day at a time and not rush into expecting a quick fix. And you’re right about seeking support when needed - reaching out to friends or professionals can make a huge difference. I’ve found that having that support system in place has been really comforting. Let’s keep being patient and kind with ourselves - it’s a tough journey, but things will eventually get better if we keep at it.

Hey there! I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve been dealing with depression for so long. I can completely relate to how overwhelming it can feel at times. It’s great that you’ve tried different approaches to managing your mental health - that takes a lot of strength and courage. And I totally agree that being kinder to ourselves is so important. It’s so easy to focus on our flaws and forget about all the wonderful things about us. I’ve found that acknowledging the small acts of self-care has made a huge difference in how I view my own mental health struggles. Just remember, it’s okay to take things one day at a time and to seek professional support when needed. It may not be an overnight change, but with patience and kindness towards yourself, things will eventually get better. Hang in there!

Hey, I completely understand how overwhelming depression can be, especially when it feels like nothing is really working to help manage it. I’ve been there too, and it’s tough. But I’m really glad to hear that learning how to be kinder to yourself has made a big difference for you. That’s such an important step in the right direction. It’s really true that acknowledging even the smallest acts of self-care can have a huge impact on our mental health. And seeking support, whether it’s from those around you or from professionals, is so important too. It’s not always an easy or quick fix, but being patient and gentle with ourselves can really make a difference in the long run. Keep holding on and taking those small steps forward, because things can get better. Sending you lots of support and positivity as you continue on your path to better mental health.

Hey, I can relate to your struggle with depression. It’s tough, and it’s great that you’ve tried different approaches to managing it. I’ve also found that being kinder to myself has been a game-changer. It’s not always easy, but acknowledging the little acts of self-care can really make a difference. Don’t give up hope - there are things you can do each day to help yourself cope better. And it’s okay to seek advice and professional support when you need it. Just take it one day at a time and be patient with yourself. Things will eventually get better if you keep at it and stay kind to yourself through it all.

Hey, I hear you. Dealing with depression can be such a tough battle, and it’s really commendable that you’ve been navigating through it for over ten years. It’s true that finding the right approach to managing mental health can feel like an endless trial-and-error process, but it’s amazing that you didn’t give up. Learning to be kinder to ourselves is such a game-changer, isn’t it? It’s a daily practice, but acknowledging our worth and practicing self-care, no matter how small, really does make a difference. Trust me, I get it. And you’re right, seeking support when needed and taking it day by day is key. Hang in there, keep being patient and kind to yourself. You’re not alone in this. Sending you positive vibes and virtual hugs.