Dealing with depression - my story

Depression is an insidious thing, creeping more and more into my life until I realized there was a problem. I thought it was just occasional feelings of sadness or being overwhelmed, but eventually it got to the point where I was missing work, having difficulty eating and sleeping, and felt constantly lost in a fog.

I felt so much shame that I had denied what was happening. How could I not have noticed before? It’s so easy to get caught up in everyday life and push away the hard stuff.

My family wasn’t sure what to do; they were scared for me too. But finally after some convincing, I saw a doctor who got me on a plan for treatment that included both therapy and medication. For the first time in such a long while, I had hope.

I started seeing improvements soon afterwards—not all at once, but little by little each day. Through regular counseling sessions, discovering techniques like journaling and meditation for managing stress, as well as just checking in with my support system as often as possible, I worked through my issues one step at a time.

Although it hasn’t all been peaches and cream since then—anxiety still creeps up here and there—I’m now able to identify it when it comes around this time instead of letting it take over again like before. Dealing with depression is a constant struggle but also an ongoing journey — one that is certainly possible to take back control of with some effort, dedication and perseverance.

5 Likes

Hey there,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been battling depression and that it felt like it was taking over your life. It’s difficult to realize what is happening in such a gradual way, especially when every day can feel like such a challenge.

It’s great to hear that you managed to get help and turn things around. I know how intimidating the thought of seeking medical help for depression can be-- sometimes it feels too overwhelming just to take the first step. But the fact that you were able to do this with the help of those around you is awesome.

Making progress isn’t always a linear process, but with hard work and support from family and professionals (and yourself!), you can gradually see things get better. The tough part is learning how to manage these feelings on an everyday basis so they don’t pile up again—practicing meditation or finding ways to reduce stress are great resources to keep in mind during moments of distress.

Take care and stay strong!

I can relate to the feelings of embarrassment and fear that you experienced when coming to terms with your depression. It’s not easy acknowledging something so difficult, especially when it has been in our lives for a while without us recognizing it. Your courage in seeking professional help is admirable.

It sounds like you have come a long way and have shown an incredible amount of resilience as you managed your depression. I’m glad that you found some hope in treatment and also got to discover helpful stress management techniques such as journaling and meditation that enable you to stay on top of your mental health. As you’ve probably already learnt, managing depression is an on-going process which requires regular effort, but there’s no doubt that having the right tools and people around you can make things easier.

If there’s anything I can do to support you through this process, please don’t hesitate to reach out. You’re not alone!

I understand how difficult it can be to recognize a problem like depression, and I’m proud of you for reaching out for the help you needed. It may have felt overwhelming and sometimes scary, but I’m sure it was worth it in the end. It takes a lot of strength and courage to keep pushing forward in such a situation.

It sounds like you were quite lucky to have had supportive family members who stayed by your side no matter what; that would have been really important and beneficial for your journey towards recovery. And having an action plan with both therapy and medication put in place must have given you a certain sense of relief as well.

I’m so happy to hear that since then, life has been looking up! Finding new techniques and tools that work well with your needs, such as journaling and meditation, seemed to have been particularly helpful for managing stress levels over time. With all this effort from your part, I’m sure things will continue to look brighter days ahead!

I completely empathize with your story. It’s so hard to recognize what you’re going through when you get swept up in everyday life. And that shame–I know it all too well. It took me a long time before I found the courage to talk about my struggles and seek help. Pushing ourselves to take that first step towards getting better can be tough, but it’s worth it—it was for me.

It takes an incredible amount of strength and resilience to commit to working on yourself and seeing improvements—even if it’s small steps at a time. Although anxiety still might pop up from time to time, being armed with coping strategies like therapy, journaling, and meditation can really go a long way in helping you manage it. You are brave and courageous for facing your demons and taking back control over your life.

Hi there,

I can definitely relate to what you are going through. I too had my own struggles with depression and it was overwhelming at times. Even though I’m 56, I can still remember how hard it was to admit that something was wrong and seek out help. But it’s so important and necessary—you have taken an important step in doing this! It takes a lot of courage!

It sounds like you’ve been taking fantastic steps towards managing your depression by enlisting the help of a doctor, therapy sessions, journaling, meditation and your support system. And even if things don’t feel better right away, small improvements can make all the difference. The road might be long but it’s worth it in the end to take back control of our lives.

If you ever need someone to talk to, know that I’m here for you - happy to listen and lend an ear for support or offer advice if needed. Take care!