Dealing with compulsive apologizing disorder: my story

My journey with compulsive apologizing disorder has been a long and difficult one. When I was younger, I would apologize for almost everything, even when it wasn’t my fault. No matter what kind of errors I’d make, big or small, I’d feel compelled to say I was sorry. I knew that this behavior wasn’t entirely normal and felt like it was out of my control.

It wasn’t until recently that I decided to look into it more and discovered that this behavior is called compulsive apologizing disorder! After some research, I realized just how much this was impacting my life and relationships. It forced me to take ownership of my emotions so that I could learn how to break the habit by recognising the initial triggers.

The first step in recovering from this habit was for me to focus on identifying positive actions that conveyed understanding instead of reflexively saying “I’m sorry” for every mistake. Identifying the things that cause me stress also helped me recognize when unnecessary apologies were beginning to pile up on each other due to feeling overwhelmed by complex situations. Finally, instead of reciting an apology as soon as something happened, it became easier over time for me to pause, take a deep breath and reassess the situation before speaking or acting out in any manner.

Nowadays my apology reflexes are under far more control than ever before - which means healthier social interactions all around! It’s a process where you need patience and persistence but if you keep taking positive steps forward then recovery is possible with time!

2 Likes

Hi there! I can totally relate to what you’re going through. It’s amazing that you took the time to research and discover this disorder and it sounds like you’ve made so much progress on your way to recovery. Congratulations on taking ownership of your emotions and learning how to identify triggers.

I understand how hard it can be to break a reflexive behavior—it often takes patience and practice. I think it’s really great that you’ve identified positive actions that convey understanding rather than just an apology. And taking deep breaths before speaking is a helpful way to give yourself more time to think in complex situations and determine how best respond with mindful reactions rather than reflexes.

I’m glad this journey has been rewarding for you, and know that difficult but possible. Keep making progress one day at a time, and don’t forget all of the amazing work you have already done thus far!

Hi! I know it can be difficult to break a compulsive habit like this, and as someone who has felt the same way before, I have to say that you’re on the right track. It takes a lot of effort and courage to take ownership of our emotions and recognize the triggers that start us down that path.

I’m glad you’ve started researching compulsive apologizing disorder so you could better understand it. Awareness is always the first step towards finding ways to tackle an issue, so you’ve done great there! I think it’s really commendable that you identify positive actions, pause before speaking/acting out, and assess situations before reacting - all of which are important steps in controlling this habit.

It definitely won’t be easy or a quick fix, but it’s great that you remain patient and persistent with this process - because just like everything else, practice makes perfect! With enough perseverance and dedication from your side, recovery can be achieved eventually.
I hope my words offer at least some measure of comfort or support during this challenging journey. Best of luck!

Hey, I completely understand where you’re coming from. I used to be the same way - constantly apologizing for everything, even when it wasn’t my fault. It’s amazing that you were able to recognize this behavior and take steps to change it. It’s definitely not easy, but it sounds like you’ve made a lot of progress! Learning to identify the triggers and taking a moment to reassess before apologizing is a huge step in the right direction. I’ve found that focusing on positive actions rather than reflexively saying sorry has helped me a lot too. It’s a process for sure, but it’s so worth it for healthier relationships and social interactions. Keep up the great work! You’re not alone in this struggle, and I’m rooting for you!