Dealing with chronic anorexia - my story

I’ve been dealing with anorexia for about five years now. It started off small, but quickly escalated into a more serious problem that I was struggling to control. I stopped eating, telling myself I didn’t need food and could survive on just water alone.

I eventually sought out treatment, which focused on cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), nutritional counseling, and medication. After months of hard work, I slowly began to make progress. I was encouraged when old habits no longer felt as strong or seemed so hard to break.

It’s been two years since my treatment ended and while it hasn’t been easy, I’m proud of how far I’ve come. Nowadays I’m better able to recognize the warning signs of relapse and manage them before they become too severe. Most days when thoughts about my weight or body image come up, I can take a step back and try to challenge them instead of acting on them.

While managing anorexia is sometimes still a struggle, this condition doesn’t define me anymore like it used to. Living with anorexia has taught me more about resilience than anything else; no matter what you’re going through in life, there’s always support out there if you ask for it.

1 Like

Hi there,

I’m glad to hear that you’ve been taking steps to take control over your anorexia and that you can now recognize the warning signs of relapse. It sounds like you’ve worked incredibly hard and it is commendable that you’ve managed to come so far in such a short amount of time.

Living with anorexia could be mentally draining at times but it is encouraging to remind ourselves that we are not alone in this journey. If ever things get tough, it might be helpful for you to reach out for support from family, friends or even online forums like these. As a 49-year-old man who’s faced his fair share of ups and downs, I believe that seeking out support and connection with others could be invaluable during difficult times. And don’t forget to give yourself a pat on the back too for all the progress you’ve made!

Take care & stay strong!