Dealing with childhood trauma and managing my mental health

I remember my childhood as a confusing and distressful time in my life. I was overwhelmed by the emotions swirling inside of me, but I lacked the words to express them. I often felt overwhelmed and anxious, and had difficulty connecting with people around me.

I’ve realized that much of this stemmed from unresolved trauma from my childhood. Experiencing this trauma has been a difficult process to face, but it’s been integral to my growth as an adult. It was so deeply ingrained in my nature that I had no idea how much of an effect it had on me until recently.

This year, I decided to take action and invest in myself by working through these issues with a mental health professional. This has been one of the best decisions I have ever made for myself! Through therapy and self-reflection, I have gained insight into why certain feelings arise when triggered and can better manage them by setting boundaries and resolving conflicts more effectively.

It hasn’t been easy- at times it’s been exhausting, deflating and frustrating- but as long as I stay true to myself, openly communicate how I’m feeling, practice self-compassion and care for myself by taking breaks when needed - healing is possible. It’s taken a lot of work to come out on the other side, but now more than ever do I understand that managing mental health is essential to being able to live life confidently and strongly.