Dealing with bipolar disorder in teens - my story

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when I was a teenager. At the time, I had no idea what it meant or how it would shape my life going forward. I was overwhelmed by the diagnosis and the reality of all that would come with it.

At first, I wasn’t sure how to handle my new reality. The emotional swings felt like they could take over my life and I did not know how to get control of them. Until I reached out and started talking to other people who shared this diagnosis, I didn’t have any guidance on how to deal with this intense condition.

But little by little, things started to shift into place for me. With the help and understanding of family, friends, medical professionals, and peers in similar situations, I learned ways to manage my moods better during times of crisis or episode triggers.

Having a small support system around me really helped me stay grounded during tough moments – like confiding in a close friend who could help provide objective advice or reminding myself of accomplishments achieved during healthier states – like getting high grades even when feeling low and at odds with classmates that were more apparent during episodes.

It has been an ongoing journey filled with triumphs as well as plenty of challenges along the way. But knowing someone understands where you are coming from is so important when dealing with an invisible illness such as bipolar disorder - especially for teenagers who are still trying to find their place in an unsteady world.