Dealing with anxiety - my personal story

Anxiety is something I’ve struggled with for a long time that has been both a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, it has showed me how resilient and determined I can be in hard times, and it has made me aware of the world around me. On the other hand, it can often leave me feeling overwhelmed or completely paralyzed from taking action.

For years I wrestled with these feelings without wanting to let anyone else know - after all, admitting I had anxiety felt like showing weakness. Finally seeking help was a huge turning point for me- letting go of the idea that my mental health wasn’t something to take seriously was instrumental in getting better.

Now when things get tough my first impulse isn’t to pretend everything is fine; instead it’s to sort through the situation from every angle and find out what needs my attention now in order to make progress. The anxious energy that used to make life stressful now serves as fuel for pushing through difficult moments with intention.

I still have days when anxiety rears its ugly head and throws off my equilibrium but having gone through treatment has given me the skillset to calmly acknowledge this emotion, acknowledge how it’s impacting me, hold space for it if needed, and move forward towards creating a healthier version of myself.