Dealing with academic stress and my mental health

I’m having a hard time dealing with the pressures of school. I’ve felt overwhelmed lately, and it’s really taking a toll on my mental health. From feeling like I’m not good enough to the pressure of staying on top of everything, it’s been hard to stay motivated.

Having a plan has helped me stay focused and keep organized. I make sure to break up my work into manageable chunks and set specific goals. This makes things seem less daunting and means that I can actually achieve what needs to be done for the week ahead.

I also remind myself that it’s ok to take breaks! It’s important to give yourself moments away from studying, regardless of how little or how much you have left to do. Taking some kind of break — whether it’s playing games, watching movies, venting with friends or exercising — helps clear your head so you can come back refreshed when getting back into the swing of things.

Finally, this isn’t easy but generosity towards myself is key: there will be days where no matter how developed my plan is or lots of breaks I take, all motivation evaporates by mid-day. On these days I tell myself that is totally ok if I don’t get very much done – so long as I can look after my mental health today, work can wait until tomorrow…

2 Likes

Hi there,

I can definitely relate to how you’re feeling. As a 49-year-old man, I’ve had to cope with similar kinds of pressure before. It really takes its toll on your mental wellbeing when you feel like every moment of your day should be dedicated to school and studying.

That said, one thing that’s been useful for me is having a plan and breaking up my work into smaller goals. It can make things seem more achievable, and it allows me to track my progress instead of feeling overwhelmed by all the work that needs to be done.

It’s also important not to forget about taking breaks! Everyone needs time out from their studies, so when you’re feeling overwhelmed or exhausted by pressure, don’t forget that taking a few minutes away from it can help clear your head and bring back focus when you return to it later. Do something fun or just relax—it doesn’t even have to be related to schoolwork!

Finally, remember that you won’t always get everything done in one go. Be kind to yourself - if today isn’t going as well as planned, ensure that your mental health is taken care of first and foremost—the rest can wait till tomorrow if need be.

Hey, I totally get where you’re coming from. School pressures can really take a toll on your mental health. It sounds like you’re already taking some great steps to manage things, like breaking up your work and setting specific goals. That’s awesome! Taking breaks is so important too, and I love that you mentioned giving yourself moments to clear your head. And you hit the nail on the head with being kind to yourself on those tough days when motivation just isn’t there. Remember, it’s okay to have those days and focus on your mental health. You’re doing a great job, and I believe in you. Keep taking things one day at a time and don’t be too hard on yourself. We’re all in this together!